Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Derek Alexander <D....@lse.ac.uk> on 2007/11/21 16:02:12 UTC

generic way of checking application status?

Deploying an app with a runtime dependency missing resulted in Servlet.init()
throwing a ServletException caused by a ClassNotFoundException.

Tomcat manager however reported the application as running. I guess it was
to a certain extent, however it would have been more useful to me to know
that there was a general problem with the app.

Anyone know a good generic way to check that an app has at least managed to
initialise ok.

Cheers

RE: generic way of checking servlet status?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Derek Alexander [mailto:D.Alexander@lse.ac.uk]
> Subject: Re: generic way of checking servlet status?
>
> As far as I can see there is no way to check if a
> Servlet is unavailable using Tomcat's built in MBeans.

This does look like a bit of an oversight.  If an actual request is made
to a disabled servlet, the errorCount attribute of the corresponding
servlet MBean is incremented, but I can't see any other indication that
a problem exists.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: generic way of checking servlet status?

Posted by Derek Alexander <D....@lse.ac.uk>.
Have considered this a bit further, seems the first step would be to mark the
Servlet as unavailable by ensuring init throws an UnavailableException. But
then what? As far as I can see there is no way to check if a Servlet is
unavailable using Tomcat's built in MBeans. Is this true?