Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/11/30 17:04:57 UTC

Help wanted for a better "Help Wanted"

I had someone contact me off list asking how they could help with the
project.  The person pointed this this page, but noted it appeared out
of date:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

Indeed it is :-(

How could we improve on this?

Some options (and I'm sure there are others):

1. Use the wiki, but keep this more up to date.  This is easy to
maintain for us, but doesn't scale that well after we get past a few
dozen items.

2. Use Bugzilla.  Have some way of marking an issue by level of
difficulty, or ones that are especially good for new volunteers.  Have
a query that can pull up these issues.

3. Use an external service, like OpenHatch:  http://openhatch.org/
("An open source community aiming to help newcomers find their way
into free software projects."

This could be used in conjunction with #2, to promote volunteer
opportunities via their aptly named "volunteer opportunity finder".
You indicate what BZ keywords indicate "bitesized" issues or
"documentation" issues and these are advertised for volunteers to see.

We didn't have BZ set up when I added the "help wanted" page to the
wiki back in June.  So maybe the best approach is some combination of
2 & 3?

Any thoughts?

I'm willing to help.  But I'd need some BZ admin assistance.

-Rob

Re: Help wanted for a better "Help Wanted"

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OpenHatch looks good.  In fact, I'm surprised there aren't other
> Apache projects in there already.
>
> MediaWiki is listed there, and is explicitly asking for translators.
> Seems like a good example for OOo to follow.

OK. I do have an Apache OpenOffice project there :

http://openhatch.org/+projects/Apache%20OpenOffice

Help is welcome filling out the profile, and especially with the
Bugzilla integration.

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.
+1!
As a newcomer, after reading the out-of-date short "Help Wanted" page
and other materials,  I still have no idea where I can help the
project. A detail task is helpful for me to get started.