Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Hayes, Peter" <Pe...@fmr.com> on 2008/10/09 19:02:45 UTC

WSDL as Maven artifact

We are building web services and in our approach multiple maven projects
would be consumers of the service WSDL in order to generate their server
/ client stubs.  I think it would be good to have a project of packaging
type wsdl and then have consumer projects depend on that artifact.  Has
anybody tried to do this or is there a better pattern for doing this?

I found one reference on the web about this :

http://myarch.com/using-maven-repository-as-web-services-registry

Possibly the hard part would be integrating with existing wsdl2java
plugins that expect a file path to the WSDL file.  I would guess that I
would have to customize one to automatically grab depencies of type wsdl
and then pass them to the code generator.

Peter Hayes   <http://www.linkedin.com/in/petehayes>
Architecture & Shared Technology Services | Fidelity Investments
Management Technology

AW: WSDL as Maven artifact

Posted by Andreas Ebbert-Karroum <eb...@codecentric.de>.
I support this idea. As the previous discussion shows, there are use-cases where WSDL files on its own are too small a fragment, but there are also other use-cases. For example for JSR 264 we used a tooling to generate the specification, which consisted purely of interfaces. We wanted to package them separately and create a jar file with all the JavaEE interfaces, one with tens of XML Schema and another one with WSDL files. All the packages describe the same interface from a functionality point of view, but allow for different interaction patterns and integration scenarios.

If you want to take a look at our project layout, look here:

https://jsr264-public.dev.java.net/source/browse/jsr264-public/

It's still kind of crude, but the spec_model is generating all interfaces in a single artifact, which is then split in the spec_jvt, spec_xsd and spec_wsdl projects.

Andreas Ebbert-Karroum@codecentric.de <ma...@codecentric.de>

  mobile: +49 (175) 2664109; office: +49 (212) 2494 331; fax: +49 (212) 2494 334

  Grünewalder Str. 29-31; 42657 Solingen

Geschäftsführer: Peter Gierse, Mirko Novakovic und Rainer Vehns - Sitz der Gesellschaft: Solingen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Wuppertal, HRB 19214

We are building web services and in our approach multiple maven projects would be consumers of the service WSDL in order to generate their server / client stubs.  I think it would be good to have a project of packaging type wsdl and then have consumer projects depend on that artifact.  Has anybody tried to do this or is there a better pattern for doing this?

I found one reference on the web about this :

http://myarch.com/using-maven-repository-as-web-services-registry

Possibly the hard part would be integrating with existing wsdl2java plugins that expect a file path to the WSDL file.  I would guess that I would have to customize one to automatically grab depencies of type wsdl and then pass them to the code generator.

Peter Hayes LinkedIn Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/petehayes>
Architecture & Shared Technology Services | Fidelity Investments Management Technology

Re: WSDL as Maven artifact

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
If the wsdl is in a jar, I know the CXF wsdl2java tooling (maven plugins) can
grab the wsdl out of the jar and generate code from it.   Thus, a "common"
jar could have the wsdl and the common generated stuff (like the jaxb types,
the service interface, etc...) and the others could use it.

Dan

On Thursday 09 October 2008 3:10:23 pm Hayes, Peter wrote:
> How do you end up generating the server side skeleton files?  Is this
> done as part of the module with the WSDL?

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog

Re: WSDL as Maven artifact

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Hayes, Peter <Pe...@fmr.com> wrote:

> How do you end up generating the server side skeleton files?  Is this
> done as part of the module with the WSDL?

The answer is we don't - only if a developer needs the skeletons to get
started with the right annotations in place for a new service, he runs it
manually. I've never found them particularly useful since you need to modify
them anyway.

Kalle

RE: WSDL as Maven artifact

Posted by "Hayes, Peter" <Pe...@fmr.com>.

Re: WSDL as Maven artifact

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
I think in typical cases a single WSDL is too small of a source fragment to

RE: WSDL as Maven artifact

Posted by "Hayes, Peter" <Pe...@fmr.com>.
Thanks for the info.  I will plan on using your process.

Pete

I second Kalle about the fact that wsdl are too small entities to elect them
artifacts. In my current project I keep the wsdl in the service
implementation artifact and I package the wsdl with clients stubs in another
artifact. The client artifact being built with the following sequence :
unpack the wsdl from the service artifact using maven-dependency-plugin and
then generate the client stubs with the appropriate maven plugin.

Paul

Re: WSDL as Maven artifact

Posted by Paul <pa...@nosphere.org>.