Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by "Russell C. Hadley" <ru...@barcelonadesign.com> on 2003/02/12 00:44:07 UTC

newbe: books/better docs/better samples.

Newbe looking for some better xalan-c documentation. Maybe a book that
gives a little background. Specificly for XPath.  The generated docs
aren't giving me enough of a view to figure out how things fit
together and the XPath samples that come with the src are a little
thin.  I'm able to parse and query a document but I now need to create
a new doc with a new input source and need to figure the lightest
weight way to do that.  I'm also looking for a way to serialize to
output the DOM after I've made changes.

Thanks -R

Re: newbe: books/better docs/better samples.

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Russell,

Are you looking for a book on XPath in general, or one on using Xalan-C's
XPath APIs.  If it's the former, there are some good books out there, and
also a number of web-based tutorials.  If it's the latter, I don't know of
any books on Xalan-C.

How you create a document is related to how you're going to interact with
that document.  While you want to modify it?  If so, you can just use the
Xerces APIs to parse it.  If you're not going to modify it, but just want
to parse it from an InputSource, you can use Xalan-C's default source tree
and parse it through an instance of XalanSourceTreeParserLiaison.  There
will be many samples which do that.

We could always flesh out the XPathAPI sample if you can give an idea of
what sort of XPath processing you're trying to do.

Xerces does have some serialization code, but it has some problems with
documents that were created programmatically.  You can also use Xalan-C's
FormatterToXML to serialize the DOM instance.  Take a look at the
TransformToXercesDOM sample program.  It does an XSLT transformation with
an instance of a Xerces DOMDocument as the target, then serializes that
document using some of Xalan-C's utility classes.

Dave

|---------+------------------------------------>
|         |           "Russell C. Hadley"      |
|         |           <russell.hadley@barcelona|
|         |           design.com>              |
|         |           02/11/2003 03:44 PM      |
  |        To:      xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org                                                                                     |
  |        cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)                                                                             |
  |        Subject: newbe: books/better docs/better samples.                                                                         |