Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Eric Martin <er...@makethembite.com> on 2010/11/14 09:19:50 UTC

Error When Switching to Tomcat

Hi,

I have been using Jetty on my linux/apache webserver for about 3 weeks now.
I decided that I should change to Tomcat after realizing I will be indexing
a lot of URL's and Jetty is good for small production sites as noted in the
Wiki. I am running into this error:

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Schema Parsing Failed at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.readSchema(IndexSchema.java:656) at
org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.<init>(IndexSchema.java:95) at
org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.<init>

My localhost/solr.xml :

<Context docBase="/tomcat/webapps/solr.war" debug="0" privileged="true"
allowLinking="true" crossContext="true">

<Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
value="/tomcat/webapps/solr/" override="true" />

</Context>

My solrconfig.xml:

<dataDir>${solr.data.dir:/tomcat/webapps/solr/conf}</dataDir>

I can get to the 8080 Tomcat default page just fine.  I've gone over the
Wiki a couple of dozen times and verified that my solr.xml is configured
correctly based on trial and error and reading the error logs. I just can't
figure out where it is going wrong. I read there are three different ways to
do this. Can someone help me out?

I am using Solr 1.4.0 and Tomcat 5.5.30

Eric

RE: Error When Switching to Tomcat

Posted by Eric Martin <er...@makethembite.com>.
Hi,

Thank you! I got it working after you jarred my brain. Of course, the
location of the solr instance is arbitrary/logical to tomcat. Sheesh, I feel
kind of small, now. Anyway, I was able to clearly see my mistake from your
information.

As with all help I get from here I posted my fix/walkthrough for others to
see here:

http://drupal.org/node/716632

Thanks a bunch! You helped me and anyone else coming to the Drupal site for
help with Tomcat and Solr :-)

Posted by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com>.
Move solr.war file and solrhome directory somewhere else outside the tomcat webapps. Like /home/foo. Tomcat will generate webapps/solr automatically.

This is what i use: under catalineHome/conf/Catalina/localhost/solr.xml

<Context docBase="/home/foo/apache-solr-1.4.0.war" debug="0" crossContext="true" >
   <Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String" value="/home/foo/SoorHome" override="true" />

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat#Installing_Solr_instances_under_Tomcat