Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Christoph Rüger <c....@synesty.com> on 2021/02/24 14:57:33 UTC

Suggestion: Discourse Forum for Freemarker?

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask, what you think about having a Discourse Forum for
Freemarker. They are offering a free version for OSS projects.
https://blog.discourse.org/2018/11/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/

I just saw it in another Open Source project I am participating (bndtools
<https://bnd.discourse.group/>): They now have a Discourse Forum which
replaced their Google groups Mailinglist. Since then I think

I personally like discourse forums a lot and I think they have good tools
for improved discussions (tagging, quotes, pasting screenshots). I think it
makes the community more visible and encourages interaction.
Not sure what the policy is about that since Freemarker is an Apache
project.

Just wanted to bring this up for discussion.

Christoph

--
Christoph Rüger, Geschäftsführer
Synesty <https://synesty.com/> - Anbinden und Automatisieren ohne

--
Synesty GmbH
Moritz-von-Rohr-Str. 1a

Geschäftsführer: Christoph Rüger
Unternehmenssitz: Jena
Handelsregister B beim Amtsgericht: Jena
Handelsregister-Nummer: HRB 508766
Ust-IdNr.: DE287564982

Re: Suggestion: Discourse Forum for Freemarker?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 18/03/2021 à 21:55, Christoph Rüger a écrit :
> On 2021/03/07 06:48:56, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
> Thanks and sorry for the late reply.
>
> Not sure personally if I like the Slack idea here. Since Slack chat is by nature supposed to be more real-time I imagine it makes sense if you have a larger community being "always online" and interaction. For freemarker I think a more asynchronous medium is better since it is currently more low-traffice. I could be wrong but I imagine it a bit more silent chat, and not sure the useful content would be available for the public.
>
> The advantage of a forum like Discourse is the asynchronous nature and the easier accessibility (public forum = indexed in google). I know the archive https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@freemarker.apache.org is also index in google...., but....wait a minute.... speaking of the archive I just realized that it is possible to register online in the archive and even reply from online directly on the website - what I am doing right now :)
>
> So maybe this serves a similar purpose as I had in mind with discourse forum. Discourse is a bit more feature rich with quoting, tagging, etc. but that's not too important.
>
> I think I will try it out that way and I am fine :) Forget my initial suggestion.
> Have a nice evening.

Yes, as we use to say in Apache: "if it's not in the ML it does not exist at all". That's what I believe too ;)

Have a good weekend

Jacques

Re: Suggestion: Discourse Forum for Freemarker?

Posted by Christoph R��ger <c....@synesty.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.