Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net> on 2017/04/17 18:34:04 UTC

[FlexJS] Release cycles

Hi,
I don't know how much effort it is to cut a release but I wonder if it makes
sense to increase the FlexJS release cycles to make changes much more
transparent and to don't overload a release with too much bug fixes and new
features.

Thanks,
Olaf

Re: [FlexJS] Release cycles

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
Christofer Dutz wrote
> Right now, with the Maven SNAPSHOTs I think we reduced the need to release
> often

What are the Maven snapshots and where are they located? Or is just the
latest snapshot available?

Thanks,
Olaf

Re: [FlexJS] Release cycles

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well the manual effort of releasing itself isn’t that much. In case of a maven release its executing two commands and then going to Apache’s Nexus Web UI and doing a few clicks. It’s what comes after that: Initiating the Vote and Release emails and doing the discussion. That’s also not too much effort. But to do a good release a lot of people here should stop their work, download the RC, build it, test it, try it out in their build setup with their (private) projects and check if all the files are properly licensed and everything is ok from a legal point of view. This is a lot of work.

Right now, with the Maven SNAPSHOTs I think we reduced the need to release often, especially since the ASF Jenkins build is back to blue (the ok state), but I guess for people using FB and Ant it’s more difficult to keep their setups up-to-date without re installing the nightly every now and then. But thinking of it … there is probably no difference for them to install the latest nightly or the latest release … I have no real opinion on this.

Chris

Am 18.04.17, 09:24 schrieb "OK" <po...@olafkrueger.net>:

    >Are you volunteering to be the release manager?
    Maybe some day if I understand FlexJS better and know what's necessary to
    cut a release...

    >Releases have historically been a lot of effort.
    It's a bit uncomfortable to speak about effort while contributing nothing by
    myself but I also could imagine that more releases are less work at the end.
    Is it so much effort cause of so many tasks that has to be done or are there
    other reasons?
    Maybe there are possibilities to reduce the effort for minor releases?
    E.g. IMO there's no need to do all the public relations work for minor
    releases which maybe contain just bug fixes.

    Thanks,
    Olaf

Re: [FlexJS] Release cycles

Posted by OK <po...@olafkrueger.net>.

Re: [FlexJS] Release cycles

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Especially doing them with maven (

Chris

Am 18.04.17, 00:54 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    There are also several unresolved licensing issues, which from memory are:
    - outstanding issues from the last two releases
    - JSON license “do no evil” dependancy issue
    - possible IP issue (MD5 code) checked in a few weeks ago

    Having shorter release cycles IMO would mean it's a lot less work to make a release.

    Thanks,
    Justin

Re: [FlexJS] Release cycles

Re: [FlexJS] Release cycles

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
On 4/17/17, 11:34 AM, "OK" <po...@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>I don't know how much effort it is to cut a release but I wonder if it
>makes
>sense to increase the FlexJS release cycles to make changes much more
>transparent and to don't overload a release with too much bug fixes and
>new
>features.

Are you volunteering to be the release manager?

Releases have historically been a lot of effort.   There are other
products we release besides FlexJS and all take up time.  I'm hoping to
get the dual branch merged with develop and cut a release.  Hopefully
after that, if there is an enthusiastic new release manager, we can get
more releases out with shorter gaps in between.

Thanks,
-Alex