Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/17 23:17:30 UTC

[QUESTION/DISCUSSION] Does our required Java version need updating?

We seem to have a number of numer of Java related discussions of
late. Here's another one -- the Java version we're using for builds.

Java 6 went out of update status quite some time ago -- Feb. 2013 --
and this is still being used for our Linux builds, and Windows
builds if our current binaries are produced with the same
configuration as the buildbot configurations.

Java 7 reached end-of-life in April, 2015.

Yesterday, I installed Java 8 -- openjdk version "1.8.0_65" -- on my
CentOS 6.7 (32 bit) and built. Testing resulted in OK results for
the little I did. I was concerned about the Base portion with the
installed hsqldb but so far everything is OK.

Is anyone else on other platforms using Java 8 for successful
building and testing? Windows builders? Mac builders? Others? Given
that in our next release, we will be out of the 4.1.x branch (I
think), I would think we could jump up to Java 8. I would expect
that our users would be on Java 8 already.
MzK

“Somebody's gotta win, somebody's gotta lose.
 Just don't fight about it.
 Just try to get better."
                       -- Yogi Berra

Re: [QUESTION/DISCUSSION] Does our required Java version need updating?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 12/19/2015 01:46 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Kay Schenk wrote:
>> ​For some reason, given Oliver's desire and urging to change to
>> Java 7 in
>> Windows back in August of 2013, I was under the impression that
>> since that
>> time, at least the Windows version was built with Java 1.7. ​
>
> I've re-read the discussion at
> http://markmail.org/message/4ieda3xpnoz3ec3h (the Markmail archive
> is incomplete, but this specific thread is readable) and it seems we
> discussed for 3 months but that this didn't end in a specific
> decision. For sure we still support Java 6; I'm not sure about Java
> 5, but that is quite irrelevant nowadays.
>
>> ​This topic has indeed been discussed in the past.  Can you
>> refresh our
>> memories on what you mean by "safest"?
>
> "Safest" in terms of user compatibility. There are mixed opinions in
> that discussion, but Oliver's first message clearly states that,
> when built with Java 7, OpenOffice does not recognize Java 6 as a
> valid runtime; I don't know if it is a detection problem or a real
> problem.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Ok, and thanks for following up. On the last remark, we should
investigate this further along with the  Mac Java detection issues
(needing Java 6 to do ANY detection). As a side note, although we
still have the Java "-source" and "-target" flags in places, these
options are deprecated as of Java 1.6.

MzK

“I appreciate failure. Failure means that an
 attempt was made,  and a lesson can be learned.
 As long as we’re alive after the effort,
 there is a chance for success the next time around.”
              -- George Tekai, "Oh Myyy!"

Re: [QUESTION/DISCUSSION] Does our required Java version need updating?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 17/11/2015 Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2015 02:17 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>>> Java 6 went out of update status quite some time ago -- Feb. 2013 --
>>> and this is still being used for our Linux builds, and Windows
>>> builds if our current binaries are produced with the same
>>> configuration as the buildbot configurations.
>>>
>> oops! an errate from me. Java 7 is used for Windows builds. And I
>> don't know what is used for Mac.
>>

> We build releases with Java 6 on all platforms.

​For some reason, given Oliver's desire and urging to change to Java 7 in
Windows back in August of 2013, I was under the impression that since that
time, at least the Windows version was built with Java 1.7. ​

> I think we discussed this long ago on this list and it was concluded that
> this was the safest option to produce builds that can run with no issues on
> Java 6.

​This topic has indeed been discussed in the past.  Can you refresh our
memories on what you mean by "safest"? When I build with "verbose" I do see
messages about deprecation for some of what we're using, but I also wonder
about how "safe" it is to continue to build with such an old version of
Java.

There was some discussion that centered around the HSQLDB version we were
packaging and using later versions of Java with that. Right now, building
with Java 8 on Linux-32, I am not finding any issues in this area.​

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Howard Morris (aka Col Boogie)" <Ho...@hotmail.com>.
Am 11/17/2015 11:39 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> On 11/17/2015 02:17 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> We seem to have a number of numer of Java related discussions of
>> late. Here's another one -- the Java version we're using for builds.
>>
>> Java 6 went out of update status quite some time ago -- Feb. 2013 --
>> and this is still being used for our Linux builds, and Windows
>> builds if our current binaries are produced with the same
>> configuration as the buildbot configurations.
>
> oops! an errate from me. Java 7 is used for Windows builds. And I
> don't know what is used for Mac.
>

>> Java 7 reached end-of-life in April, 2015.
>>
>> Yesterday, I installed Java 8 -- openjdk version "1.8.0_65" -- on my
>> CentOS 6.7 (32 bit) and built. Testing resulted in OK results for
>> the little I did. I was concerned about the Base portion with the
>> installed hsqldb but so far everything is OK.
>>
>> Is anyone else on other platforms using Java 8 for successful
>> building and testing? Windows builders? Mac builders? Others? Given
>> that in our next release, we will be out of the 4.1.x branch (I
>> think), I would think we could jump up to Java 8. I would expect
>> that our users would be on Java 8 already.

when we release micro versions (at the moment this means, 4.1.x) we
agreed to not change anthing on the baseline for supported platforms and
their versions. Then IMHO we shouldn't also not change the base version
for the needed Java.

But for newer versions like 4.2.x then, yes, we should improve the code
to support the most recent version of platforms and Java.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

Side question, would it be easier in the long run to use Net Beans for our Java programs?
We might not use its special features, but catching code as we write it may help.

Howard

Re: [QUESTION/DISCUSSION] Does our required Java version need updating?

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Having recently looked at our Java UNO binding, it occurred to me that
another advantage of Java 7 would be that we could update our Java UNO base
classes to implement AutoCloseable, allowing try-with-resources to be used
to manage UNO reference counting precisely and delete unused objects as
soon as they go out of scope (just like the C++ binding does), instead of
the current finalize() methods which rely on the garbage collector and so
run much later if ever, or manually calling dispose() which needs to be
done in a finally block to be safe.

eg.

try (XPropertySet xCursorProps = (XPropertySet)
UnoRuntime.queryInterface(XPropertySet.class, mxDocCursor);) {
    Object value = xCursorProps.getPropertyValue("CharWeight");
}

instead of the current:

XPropertySet xCursorProps = (XPropertySet)
UnoRuntime.queryInterface(XPropertySet.class, mxDocCursor);
try {
    Object value = xCursorProps.getPropertyValue("CharWeight");
} finally {
    xCursorProps.dispose();
}

for which try blocks would also need to nest for multiple objects, unlike
with try-with-resources.

Damjan

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
On 11/19/2015 08:47 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 2:01 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11/17/2015 11:50 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>>> Building AOO with Java 8's very strict javadoc tool was fixed in SVN
>> trunk
>>> only, by r1697228, r1697237, r1697247, r1697306, and r1697312, so yes it
>>> should work well for building AOO now, and it's the only version I've
>> been
>>> testing for months on FreeBSD. Base works, wizards work, beanshell
>> scripts
>>> works, bvt/fvt/pvt tests generally pass (I haven't compared test results
>>> with different Java versions).
>>>
>>> LibreOffice supposedly builds with Java 6.
>>>
>>> Java 7 added major new language features, like try-with-resources,
>>> diamonds, switch on strings, so requiring Java >= 7 would be good for
>>> development purposes. But then users can't use any older JRE version,
>> which
>>> might be a problem for unofficial Java implementations that are a little
>>> behind (see
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Java_virtual_machines).
>>> When last I checked, the only fast JVM on the Raspberry Pi with the hard
>>> float (hf) kernel was CACAO, which only supports Java 1.6.
>>>
>>> A while ago I did find a way to change the bytecode and class file
>> version
>>> of the class files produced by Java 1.7's javac, to make most language
>> (as
>>> opposed to API) features work on 1.6 and 1.5 JREs. I even have a Maven
>>> plugin to do this. I can look into it again if necessary?
>>>
>>> Oh and should we maybe use Maven for building Java code instead of
>>> dmake/gbuild/ant?
>>>
>>> Damjan
>> Thanks for the feedback. I hope we can get responses from Windows
>> and Mac builders soon.
>>
>> ...and, why do you like Maven instead of what we have now?
>>

> Why Maven:
> * Popular advanced build system for Java
> * Reproducible builds
> * Dependencies and plugins are downloaded on demand during the build
> * Tens of thousands of plugins, eg. Javadoc generation, Findbugs analysis,
> animal-sniffer plugin to verify no APIs from later Java versions are used,
> etc.
> * Convention over configuration: configuration is minimal, a plugin is just
> named to add it, no setting up paths to files, settings only necessary if
> they differ from defaults
> * Maven projects have been supported by every major Java IDE for many years
> (NetBeans, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA)
> * There was already talk of providing our JARs like jurt.jar on the Maven
> central repository for easy access by developers
> * Easier to add now, when not that much Java is being used yet ;-)

Don't forget Maven is also an Apache project :)

Building the Java bits with Maven should allow automated bundling
staging to Nexis Repo also.

Thanks,
Carl

Re: [QUESTION/DISCUSSION] Does our required Java version need updating?

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yuri Dario <mc...@mclink.it>.
Hi,

> OK, it's been a few weeks now and I'd like to get back to this.
> Are there any objections to using Java 8 instead of the combination
> of Java 6 and 7 that we have now?

sorry for late reply, OS/2 build is using java 1.6 and this is the
most recent JRE available.

thanks,

--
Bye,

	Yuri Dario

Re: [QUESTION/DISCUSSION] Does our required Java version need updating?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.