Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jacob Bergoo <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/29 18:34:58 UTC

Need Help Getting Started with Maven 2

Hi All,
I am new to Maven 2 but I am learning as fast as I can. My plan is to set up
a project that is working with Spring 2.5.1, Tapestry 5, Hibernate 3.2.5.ga,
MySQL 5.0.

This is what I have done so far:
1) I have Created a project using Quickstart Archtype for Tapestry 5
2) I have added Spring dep. to my pom.xml
3) I have added MySQL connector tommy pom.xml

Here Is my pom file:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p15164882/pom.xml pom.xml

When I try to run my application (I have just added a simple
applicationContext-persistence.xml just to check that I have all the needed
jar files and that the server can connect to the database :
http://www.nabble.com/file/p15164882/applicationContext-Persistence.xml
applicationContext-Persistence.xml )
the server (jetty) show this error:

org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:215)
>09> Context initialization failed
org.springframework.beans.factory.CannotLoadBeanClassException: Cannot find
class [org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource] for bean with name
'dataSource' defined in ServletContext resource
[/WEB-INF/applicationContext-Persistence.xml]; nested exception is
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource
	at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.resolveBeanClass(AbstractBeanFactory.java:1173)
	at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.predictBeanType(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:479)
	at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.isFactoryBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:787)
	at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:393)
	at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:736)
	at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:369)
	at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:261)
	at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:199)
	at
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:45)
	at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.doStart(WebApplicationContext.java:495)
	at org.mortbay.util.Container.start(Container.java:72)

My question is:
1) I thought that Maven2 download all the dependencies that a jar file uses,
here it seems that I need commons-dbcp.jar but I didn't got that when I
added Spring as a dependency. Do I need to add the dependency myself?
2) in http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/ there is no
commons-dbcp! Where can I find this?
3)Is there a list of the most common repositories so I can know where to
look for my dependencies
4) Have anybody else set upp this combination of frameworks and are willing
to share the pom.xml so I as a beginner can see the configurations?

Thanks in advance for any inputs, comments, help

Jacob

Re: Need Help Getting Started with Maven 2

Posted by Jacob Bergoo <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wayne,
thanks for the tips, I will look in to it.

Cheers,

Posted by Robert Winch <rw...@gmail.com>.
If you use eclipse, you might try m2eclipse as a way of resolving
dependencies http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacob Bergoo <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,