Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au> on 2005/05/28 08:01:35 UTC

Tutorials

I was reminded of the existence of the following tutorials.  There is an
treasure trove of really valuable information here.  I invite people to
take a look.

There is also an MMTk tutorial there, but it is out of date and frankly
(as an author ;-) not as good as the ones listed below.  The first of
the tutorials listed below is the most recent, is not Jikes RVM
specific, and is perhaps the place to start.

--Steve

Dynamic Compilation and Adaptive Optimization in Virtual Machines
http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/info/presentations.shtml#pldi04

The Design and Implementation of the Jikes RVM Optmizing Compiler
http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/info/presentations.shtml#oopsla02

The Design and Implementation of the Jalapeño Research VM for Java
http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/info/presentations.shtml#pact01

Re: Tutorials

Posted by André Luis Ferreira da Silva Bacci <an...@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On May 28, 2005, at 7:33 AM, Raffaele Castagno wrote:
>> 7: paste the modified source, and save.
>
> :)
>
> No, I was thinking more along the lines of just having the wiki  content
> in SVN or such, and let me do updates to that.  Maybe a thin  client on
> my machine to do the creation of new pages and such...

Dokuwiki?

[]s

André AE

Re: Tutorials

Posted by Steve Blackburn <St...@anu.edu.au>.
I've just added another tutorial to the wiki.  This is a great talk
which Dave Grove (IBM Research) gave at U Texas a few weeks ago.  For
those interested in performance related issues and VM design, I'd regard
this as "essential reading".  :-)

http://www.research.ibm.com/people/d/dgrove/talks/SoftwareOptimizationAndVirtualMachines.pdf

Cheers,

--Steve

Re: Tutorials

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 28, 2005, at 7:33 AM, Raffaele Castagno wrote:

> 2005/5/28, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>:
>

>> Added to Wiki. I wish I could do wiki changes offline...
>>

> It's quite simple:
>
> 1: open the page
> 2: copy the wiki source in your favourite text editor, and annotate
> the date
> of last update
> 3: go offline
> 4: modify it
> 5: go online, and check if the page has been bodified in the meanwhile
> 6: eventually apply modification to your modified source
> 7: paste the modified source, and save.

:)

No, I was thinking more along the lines of just having the wiki
content in SVN or such, and let me do updates to that.  Maybe a thin
client on my machine to do the creation of new pages and such...

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Tutorials

Posted by Raffaele Castagno <ra...@gmail.com>.