Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mark McLaren <ma...@mail.com> on 2001/02/12 17:31:12 UTC

How stable is struts?

Hi,

I like a lot of the functionality of Struts and am considering using struts
as a framwork for a very large commercial e-commerce site.  However, I have
reservations about using alpha code.  My questions are:

1.  How buggy is the code?  Have many developers found that they spent much
of their time trawling through the struts source code to fix a bug rather
than developing application-specific code?

2.  When will version 1.0 be released?  I'm not looking for a binding
commitment, just an estimate (e.g. Next month? Next quarter? Next year?)

3.  Are there any large commercial sites that currently use struts?

Many thanks

Mark

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com

Re: How stable is struts?

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
Ted Husted wrote:
> Seriously, we need to clean up the remaining items on the 1.0 TODO list,
> and any showstoppers in bugzilla. Then we freeze the build for beta
> testing, vote, and release.

I really should have said "final release testing".

In practice, the current releases are being actively beta-tested by
hundreds of developers every day.

-- Tel 716 425-0252; Fax 716 223-2506.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

Re: How stable is struts?

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.

Mark McLaren wrote:
> 1.  How buggy is the code?

The code is very stable. You can check bugzilla for outstanding issues.

< http://jakarta.apache.org/site/bugs.html >

> 2.  When will version 1.0 be released?  I'm not looking for a binding
> commitment, just an estimate (e.g. Next month? Next quarter? Next year?)

I believe Craig has said that if it doesn't come out this quarter, he
will probably be lynched ;-)

Seriously, we need to clean up the remaining items on the 1.0 TODO list,
and any showstoppers in bugzilla. Then we freeze the build for beta
testing, vote, and release.

> 3.  Are there any large commercial sites that currently use struts?

I'm aware that there are several very large projects in the work. Struts
was "born" less than a year ago, and so there hasn't been time to
develop anything truly huge. Check here for a "Powered by Struts" list

< http://husted.com/about/struts/kickstart.html >