Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Christoph Goller <go...@apache.org> on 2004/11/25 20:00:13 UTC

Release 1.4.3

I think i should finally make Release 1.4.3.

I studied the instructions from Wiki for making releases and
I think I understood most of it. However, since I never made
a release before I have a few questions:

Step 2 from the instructions says:
  2. Update default.properties so that the version property names the
     next release (one beyond the one currently being built) with -dev
     appended.  So if you're making release 1.2rc5, then the version
     property should default to 1.2-rc6-dev.

I presume the default.properties does no longer exist. I just fill in
"1.4.3" as version in the build.xml before building it. Is this ok?

Releases (binaries and sources) are no longer on www.apache.org
/www/jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-lucene/release/
Only the web-page and the documentation (Javadoc) is there.

Instead they are on cvs.apache.org
/www/cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/lucene
Is this correct?

Christoph

Re: Release 1.4.3

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Christoph Goller wrote:
> I think i should finally make Release 1.4.3.

Great!

> I presume the default.properties does no longer exist. I just fill in
> "1.4.3" as version in the build.xml before building it. Is this ok?

I build releases with something like:

   ant -Dversion=1.4.3 clean dist

So that it doesn't matter what version is in build.xml.  So you
shouldn't need to change build.xml for this release.

I think there is less confusion if, when folks build lucene themselves
it does not, by default, have the same name as a released version.  Thus
if they patch things and do not update build.xml (which is likely) the
generated jar files will have "rc1-dev", clearly identifying them as a
non-released version.

> Releases (binaries and sources) are no longer on www.apache.org
> /www/jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-lucene/release/
> Only the web-page and the documentation (Javadoc) is there.
>
> Instead they are on cvs.apache.org
> /www/cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/lucene
> Is this correct?

Yes.  Release directories should now be made under
www.apache.org:/www/cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/lucene/.

Two other things that are not in the wiki instructions:
   1. copy the lucene jar into the distribution too
      cp build/lucene-X.X.jar dist
   2. compute MD5 sums
      (cd dist; md5sum lucene* > MD5.txt)

If you have time, please update the wiki instructions too.

Thanks!

Doug