Posted to user@struts.apache.org by mi...@lynx.de on 2001/01/24 11:55:08 UTC

unsafe path error

Hello,

I got the following problem when trying to get my own application
running under Struts 1.0 and Tomcat 3.2:

Starting Tomcat, the following error message appears:

[...]
Pop org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping
2001-01-24 11:48:04 - Ctx( /vip-gallery ): Unsafe path
D:\tomcat\webapps\vip-gallery /WEB-INF/struts-config.xml
cannot load servlet name: action
2001-01-24 11:48:04 - PoolTcpConnector: Starting HttpConnectionHandler on 80
2001-01-24 11:48:04 - PoolTcpConnector: Starting Ajp12ConnectionHandler on 8007

Any suggestions, what the unsafe path... statement means?
I think the cannotload servlet name... error is a follow-up to that error.

Is there something like a FAQ  or an error message list available?

Regards

Michael

Re: unsafe path error

Posted by Joshua Hill <jh...@appliedtheory.com>.
This is a security error. Using D:\ type links is considered unsafe(and
should be!) instead try using a relative link with \ being the root of your
webapp. As for a list of errors i don't know of one, but it is usually
doing a text search of the tomcat source will reveal the answer. grep -rl
on a unix system or I believe you can use the Find file command on windows.
This shows that "Unsafe path" errors only happen when getResource is called
with a "unsafe url" in Context.java.