Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> on 2004/06/01 11:49:58 UTC

[Fwd: ASF Board Summary for May 26, 2004]

> * But wait! There's more! The board approved the resolution to move
> the Forrest project up to its own top level project (from its current
> home within the XML project). Nicola Ken Barozzi will be the Chair of
> this new project. This is one of the first steps of the XML Project
> to promote its projects upwards and become a federation, or a central
>  information repository, of all the XML-related projects at the ASF.
> Look for more promotions over the next few months.

Congrats to the Forrest team :>.

Cheers,
	Berin

From: Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>
To: committers@apache.org
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 00:52:33 -0700

Hello again,

The board met this morning for its monthly meeting. Of particular note,
this was the first meeting of the new board. There were a couple comments
of it being "chattier than usual", but I suspect we'll get ourselves
streamlined again in short order.

The official minutes of the usually take a while to be approved and
published, so I like to take this opportunity to write to the ASF
committers about things that happened during the Board meeting which may
be of interest or have an effect on your efforts here.

We covered a lot of ground today. So here we go:

* This Board meeting had the appointment of the ASF officers as one of its
   primary agenda items. But... not much to report here. The Board has been
   happy with the current set of officers, so each office had a single
   nomination for it. So the officers for the next year are the same as for
   the last:

     Chairman         Greg Stein
     President        Dirk-Willem van Gulik
     Treasurer        Chuck Murcko
     Executive V.P.   Jim Jagielski
     Secretary        Jim Jagielski

* The board approved the resolution to create the Apache Excalibur
   Project. This new project will pick up responsibility for the Excalibur
   and Fortress codebases from the Avalon PMC. Leo Simons is the new Chair
   of Apache Excalibur.

* The board also approved the graduation of the Apache Geronimo project
   from within the Incubator to its own "top level" project. Geir Magnusson
   will be the new Chair of Apache Geronimo. (and before you ask, yes, it
   would seem Geir is overloaded; watch for further emails from Geir)

* But wait! There's more! The board approved the resolution to move the
   Forrest project up to its own top level project (from its current home
   within the XML project). Nicola Ken Barozzi will be the Chair of this
   new project. This is one of the first steps of the XML Project to
   promote its projects upwards and become a federation, or a central
   information repository, of all the XML-related projects at the ASF. Look
   for more promotions over the next few months.

* We also had a number of discussions around updates to the Contributor
   License Agreements, an Apache legal team, managing of our public
   relations and image/brand and fundraising efforts, and ways to increase
   visibility into the inner workings of the ASF. Some JCP, J2EE, and TCK
   stuff was discussed, too. No specific actions or resolutions were taken
   on these various items.

As always, if you have any questions, concerns, or comments, then please
feel free to email myself or any other ASF officer. Please feel free to
discuss on community@apache.org (follow-ups have been redirected there).

Cheers,
-g

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: [Fwd: ASF Board Summary for May 26, 2004]

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> > * But wait! There's more! The board approved the resolution to move
> > the Forrest project up to its own top level project (from its current
> > home within the XML project). Nicola Ken Barozzi will be the Chair of
> > this new project. This is one of the first steps of the XML Project
> > to promote its projects upwards and become a federation, or a central
> >  information repository, of all the XML-related projects at the ASF.
> > Look for more promotions over the next few months.
>
> Congrats to the Forrest team :>.

Thanks. We will talk in a different thread soon about how
Forrest still relates to and works with the XML Project.

BTW, there was a typo in that Board summary. It is me who
was given the task of chairperson :-)

--David