Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Hector <rh...@actrix.gen.nz> on 2002/12/03 08:14:24 UTC

[users@httpd] Authentication for virtual host

Hi all,

I want to use authentication for a whole (name based) virtual host.

As far as I can see, the authentication directives must be applied to a
directory - OK, I could apply it to the document root of the appropriate
host.

What I'm not so sure of, is whether that will catch aliases to
directories outside that tree, and which are sometimes shared with other
virtual hosts. And if I have to protect them seperately, how do I do
that without affecting the other hosts?

The particular situation is that the development site needs protecting
while the live one doesn't.

Thanks,

Richard