Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stephen Gross <sg...@darwin.epbi.cwru.edu> on 2005/11/07 18:58:23 UTC

Getting started with svnperms

I'm trying to get started with svnperms. I haven't been able to find any
general how-to on the subject. Can anyone tell me:

(1) Where can I get a copy of svnperms.py? (It's not in the hooks directory
by default?)
(2) Do I simply have to have the file present in the hooks directory for it
to be enabled?
(3) Is there a general guidebook for the configuration file?

Thanks in advance,
--Steve

Stephen Gross
Case Western School of Medicine
Cleveland, OH

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged." - Dr.
Lazarus

Re: Getting started with svnperms

Posted by Joshua Varner <jl...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/05, Stephen Gross <sg...@darwin.epbi.cwru.edu> wrote:
> >All aspects of Subversion are discussed in the book:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
>
> I've already been working through this book, and haven't found detailed
> information on (1) how to get the correct hook to call svnperms, and (2)
> reference information on setting up svnperms. Any ideas?

See:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/svnperms.py
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/svnperms.conf.example

Just call the svnperms.py from the pre-commit hook:
USAGE = """\
Usage: svnperms.py OPTIONS

    -r PATH    Use repository at PATH to check transactions
    -t TXN     Query transaction TXN for commit information
    -f PATH    Use PATH as configuration file (default is repository
               path + /conf/svnperms.conf)
    -s NAME    Use section NAME as permission section (default is
               repository name, extracted from repository path)
    -R REV     Query revision REV for commit information (for tests)
    -A AUTHOR  Check commit as if AUTHOR had commited it (for tests)
    -h         Show this message
"""

Josh

Re: Getting started with svnperms

Posted by Stephen Gross <sg...@darwin.epbi.cwru.edu>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 7, 2005, at 19:58, Stephen Gross wrote:

> I'm trying to get started with svnperms. I haven't been able to
> find any
> general how-to on the subject. Can anyone tell me:
>
> (1) Where can I get a copy of svnperms.py? (It's not in the hooks
> directory
> by default?)

It is in the Subversion source distribution, but not in the binary
distributions. You can download the source distribution, or get the
bleeding-edge version from the trunk:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/

> (2) Do I simply have to have the file present in the hooks
> directory for it
> to be enabled?

You need to call it from the appropriate hook.