Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk> on 2012/10/11 16:14:33 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Apache Wookie 0.12.0-incubating Release Candidate

On 31/08/2012 10:24, Scott Wilson wrote:
> On 31 Aug 2012, at 02:05, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>
>> On 8/30/12 4:44 PM, "Ate Douma" <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi team,
>>>
>>> I've checked this release candidate and I *think* I can vote +1 on this,
>>> but I'm
>>> not sure about maybe one important thing: if this version might be
>>> embedding
>>> restricted cryptography functionality, or not:
>>>
>>> This version adds Apache Santuario xmlsec-1.5.2.jar for W3C XML Digital
>>> Signatures support. AFAIK Santuario can be used to encrypt XML. Even if
>>> Wookie
>>> doesn't, if it is bundled this release might be considered 'exporting'
>>> cryptography functionality. I'm totally unexperienced in this regard for
>>> what
>>> the rules/restrictions etc. are [1], and/or if something needs to be done
>>> before
>>> dealing with this [2].
>> IMO, this might be best discussed with legal.  The crypto site notes that
>> an update to the language was posted by the US IBS in 2010 but the text of
>> our site hasn't been updated. Better safe than sorry.
> I've created a new Question ticket in Legal Discuss for this:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-148

Its now been six weeks without an answer from legal and it looks as
though we will never get one.
How do we we proceed?

Apologies to all for not picking this up sooner, but I have been swamped
this last month.

Paul

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Dear leagal-discuss,

The Wookie podling needs and answer on ticket

That ticket has been open for six weeks with no response. It is blocking a
release and since Wookie has a four weekly release cycle a six week delay
is very significant. It is also, in the case slowing graduation.

We'd really appreciate someone taking look. If a response is not
forthcoming because of a lack of info please let the podling know so they
can explain further.

Thank you.

Ross

Sent from my tablet