Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Pedro Sam <p2...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/02 04:45:59 UTC

parallel processing with procmail

Hi all,

Currently, I use a procmail script to process incoming messages like so:

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| /usr/bin/spamc

I noticed that although I have 5 spamd children, only one of them was getting
called at the time.  Does anyone know how to process incoming mail in parallel
using procmail?

Thanks,
Pedro

Re: parallel processing with procmail

Posted by Thorsten Haude <sa...@thorstenhau.de>.
Hi,

* Theo Van Dinter wrote (2005-02-02 04:48):
>On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:45:59PM -0500, Pedro Sam wrote:
>> I noticed that although I have 5 spamd children, only one of them was
>> getting called at the time.  Does anyone know how to process incoming mail
>> in parallel using procmail?
>
>Sure.  Remove the lock that keeps the spamc calls serialized.
>
>Typically people include the lock on the assumption that multiple users will
>receive mail at the same time, and they'll all only make 1 request at a time.
>A cheap "fair-queue" type thing.

I see. I thought the problem is that only one mail is fed to Procmail
at a time. Sorry for the confusion.

Thorsten
--
Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.
    - Isaac Asimov

Re: parallel processing with procmail

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:45:59PM -0500, Pedro Sam wrote:
> :0fw: spamassassin.lock
> * < 256000
> | /usr/bin/spamc
>
> I noticed that although I have 5 spamd children, only one of them was
> getting called at the time.  Does anyone know how to process incoming mail
> in parallel using procmail?

Sure.  Remove the lock that keeps the spamc calls serialized.

Typically people include the lock on the assumption that multiple users will
receive mail at the same time, and they'll all only make 1 request at a time.
A cheap "fair-queue" type thing.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
 Fry: Have you ever been in love?

Re: parallel processing with procmail

Posted by Thorsten Haude <sa...@thorstenhau.de>.
Hi,

* Pedro Sam wrote (2005-02-02 04:45):
>I noticed that although I have 5 spamd children, only one of them was
>getting called at the time.  Does anyone know how to process incoming mail
>in parallel using procmail?

I think you should look at your MTA, Procmail can't do a thing about it.

Thorsten
--
copy protection n. - A class of methods for preventing incompetent pirates from
stealing software and legitimate customers from using it. Considered silly.