Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org> on 2012/06/01 04:36:53 UTC

Re: [maven-reorg] Reorganizations ongoing at forked Git repository

Why would that require a 1.3?

Ralph

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/1 Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>:
>> Why would that require a 1.3?
>
> Just because it will be a complete change in organizations of jars. If
> you want to stick with 1.2.x version scheme it's only a matter of
> changing a version.

Actually I think we should stick with 1.2.

Reasons:
- there was an effort to create log4j 1.3 in the past. This version
has failed and was cancelled. To my knowledge this was the time Ceki
stopped development at the ASF and founded logback/slf4j. Since then
1.2 was releasing bugfix versions from time to time. It would be
confusing for oldschoolers to hear about a new 1.3 version

- we need to show the sign that we maintain 1.2 without breaking the
code. But of course we should show the 2.0 flag. All our marketing
efforts etc should go into 2.0 soon and personally I would like to
avoid efforts in pushing a new version.

As we do not break the code and just require new pom.xml artifacts
which must be touched when a new version comes out I think 1.2.18
would be fine.

Cheers
Christian

> Notice that I am not here to interfere with Log4j team decisions, only
> to help with the build.

Thank you very much! You are welcome!

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [maven-reorg] Reorganizations ongoing at forked Git repository

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jun 1, 2012, at 12:26 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> 2012/6/1 Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>:
>> Why would that require a 1.3?
>
> Just because it will be a complete change in organizations of jars. If
> you want to stick with 1.2.x version scheme it's only a matter of
> changing a version.
>
> Notice that I am not here to interfere with Log4j team decisions, only
> to help with the build.

Feel free to "interfere".  All opinions, suggestions, feedback, etc are welcome!

Ralph

Re: [maven-reorg] Reorganizations ongoing at forked Git repository

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.