Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Aleksei Wolff <al...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/26 15:11:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Getting Rid of Old Apache Install..

Suse9.0
i686

What is the proper way to get rid of an old install of
apache (1.3.28)?  I installed apache (1.3.29) but when
I do "apachectl start" the script defaults to the old
install and not the new one.

1.3.28 sits in /etc/httpd

1.3.29 sits in /usr/local/apache

do I just delete the /etc/httpd directory?
do I get rid of the old apachectl script that sits in
/usr/sbin/ ?

Any other caveats?

Thanks in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] Getting Rid of Old Apache Install..

Posted by shane c branch <sc...@barton.edu>.
Aleksei Wolff wrote:

> Suse9.0
> i686
>
> What is the proper way to get rid of an old install of
> apache (1.3.28)?  I installed apache (1.3.29) but when
> I do "apachectl start" the script defaults to the old
> install and not the new one.
>
> 1.3.28 sits in /etc/httpd
>
> 1.3.29 sits in /usr/local/apache
>
> do I just delete the /etc/httpd directory?
> do I get rid of the old apachectl script that sits in
> /usr/sbin/ ?
>

> Any other caveats?
>

> Thanks in advance.

You might also try modifying the init script that launches httpd to
reflect the new path of your 1.3.29 installation. That way, it can be
launched in the same manner as your previous installation.

--
regards,

shane

Re: [users@httpd] Getting Rid of Old Apache Install..

Posted by Patrick Boutilier <bo...@ednet.ns.ca>.
Sounds like you have apache 1.3.28 installed via rpm or whatever Suse
uses for package management. /etc/httpd is just where the config files
are kept. The best way to get rid of 1.3.28 is to remove the rpm. Before
you do that copy your document root (/var/html perhaps ?) to
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/.

If you want to start 1.3.29 try:

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start