Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org> on 2004/08/18 12:44:28 UTC

[VOTE][CLI] Release Plan 2.0

CLI2 has been far too long in the making and has been stable for a long
time so I'd like to propose a beta release to be followed up by some
documentation and a proper release.

The open bugs mainly refer to 1.0 bugs that I'm nervous of fixing
without breaking something else.  Given that the 1.0 code is deprecated
now and the bugs don't appear in 2.0, I expect them to be resolved as
FIXED or WONTFIX once 2.0 is available.

The documentation still refers to the 1.0 code and needs a major
overhaul.  I'm expecting that, with a deadline to work to, I'll get that
well underway in time for the 2.0 release.  In the meantime people need
to take cues from the tests and ask for help.

Anyway, I'd like to release 2.0B1 by Monday Aug 23rd based on the
candidate at http://www.apache.org/~roxspring/cli/.  Assuming things go
smoothly I'll propose a real release 2-3 weeks later with improved
documentation.

Commons-CLI 2.0 Release Plan

Re: [VOTE][CLI] Release Plan 2.0

Posted by John Keyes <jo...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately I am still not in a position to contribute time to this.
Thanks for all the hard work on v2 Rob.

-John K

Re: [VOTE][CLI] Release Plan 2.0

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Re: [VOTE][CLI] Release Plan 2.0

Posted by Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Looking at the site rather than the source. Would be nice if javadoc was a
> link rather than hidden down in the Project Reports.

Go for it.  I don't have the maven-foo and really don't have the
patience to hack the maven config more than I have to.

> CLI2Converter confuses me. Firstly, is it still needed?

Its not *needed* at all, I just thought it would be nice to ease the
upgrade process.  Perhaps placing it it o.a.c.cli2.util package and
calling it CLI1Converter (or CLI1Adapter) might be clearer?

 > Secondly, why does
> it have return types of type:
>
> org.apache.commons.cli2.Group

Because that's the closest analogue to Options or OptionGroup in the
cli2 packages.

> Would have thought you'd have had compile problems.

No... why?... Ahhhhh - looks like the javadocs are only tackling the
org.apache.commons.cli package and not the org.apache.commons.cli2 tree.
   I've just rebuilt so the full javadocs are available at:

http://www.apache.org/~roxspring/cli/docs/apidocs/

> Something I've had on my todo for a couple of weeks is to javadoc
> PatternOptionBuilder. Will work on that tonight and commit it.

Have you had a chance to look at the o.a.c.cli2.builder.PatternBuilder
at all?  I think its true to the intention of PatternOptionBuilder but
don't remember testing it too much - I guess if your a user of the
original you would be well placed to try out the replacement :)

> Otherwise, +1.
 >
 > Hen

Does this still hold now that you see the cil2 package?

Thanks,

Rob

Re: [VOTE][CLI] Release Plan 2.0

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Looking at the site rather than the source. Would be nice if javadoc was a
link rather than hidden down in the Project Reports.

CLI2Converter confuses me. Firstly, is it still needed? Secondly, why does