Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by gwilodailo <da...@rc1.ca> on 2010/06/17 20:19:50 UTC

Please Help with SA Rule: FH_HOST_IN_ADDRARPA

Hello all,

I've discovered that some mail between two of my clients (on separate hosts)
is getting flagged as spam, because of this rule (FH_HOST_IN_ADDRARPA). I'm
not at all an expert with spamassassin, and I'm having some difficulty
finding what this rule is about and what to do about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Please Help with SA Rule: FH_HOST_IN_ADDRARPA

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 17.06.10 14:47, Lee Dilkie wrote:
> the rule is flagging the fact that the servers are using non-assigned
> address space.

no, it's flagging that some admin hhad a genial idea to point PTR to itself:

1.1.1.1.in-addr.arpa. PTR 1.1.1.1.in-addr.arpa.
                      A   1.1.1.1

Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".

Re: Please Help with SA Rule: FH_HOST_IN_ADDRARPA

Posted by Lee Dilkie <Le...@Dilkie.com>.

Fuelly <http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dilkie/golf>

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:41:23 -0400 (EDT)
Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, gwilodailo wrote:
> >
> > I've discovered that some mail between two of my clients (on
> > separate hosts) is getting flagged as spam, because of this rule
> > (FH_HOST_IN_ADDRARPA). I'm not at all an expert with spamassassin,
> > and I'm having some difficulty finding what this rule is about and
> > what to do about it.
>
> Your reverse DNS lookup for the hostname resolves to a string
> containing 'in-addr.arpa'. This can be corrected by setting your
> reverse DNS zone to a real hostname for the IP. If you are not in
> control of the DSN you may have to talk to your upstream provider.
>
> If you are only doing this internally, and never send external mail
> from that host, you can just add a whteilst entry for that hostname.

The rule is:

X-Spam-Relays-External =~
 /^[^\]]+ rdns=[^ ]{0,25}\.in-addr\.arpa /

it probably should be:

X-Spam-Relays-External =~
/^[^\]]+rdns=[^ ]{0,25}\.in-addr\.arpa[^]]+auth= /

That said, this kind of rule should not be firing on internal mail.
Such mail should either be kept out of SA or the internal network
should include the hosts' ip addresses - either directly or via
msa_networks.

Re: Please Help with SA Rule: FH_HOST_IN_ADDRARPA

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, gwilodailo wrote:

> I've discovered that some mail between two of my clients (on separate hosts)
> is getting flagged as spam, because of this rule (FH_HOST_IN_ADDRARPA). I'm
> not at all an expert with spamassassin, and I'm having some difficulty
> finding what this rule is about and what to do about it.

Your reverse DNS lookup for the hostname resolves to a string containing
'in-addr.arpa'. This can be corrected by setting your reverse DNS zone to
a real hostname for the IP. If you are not in control of the DSN you may
have to talk to your upstream provider.

If you are only doing this internally, and never send external mail from
that host, you can just add a whteilst entry for that hostname.

-Charles