Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2021/01/14 23:09:13 UTC

[VOTE] Second release candidate for HBase 2.4.1 (RC1) is available

Please vote on this Apache hbase release candidate, hbase-2.4.1RC1.

The VOTE will remain open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache hbase 2.4.1

The tag to be voted on is 2.4.1RC1:

    https://github.com/apache/hbase/tree/2.4.1RC1

The release files, including signatures, digests, as well as CHANGES.md
and RELEASENOTES.md included in this RC can be found at:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/2.4.1RC1/

Temporary Maven artifacts are available in the staging repository:

    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1430/

Artifacts were signed with the apurtell@apache.org key which can be found
in:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/hbase/KEYS

The API compatibility report for this RC can be found at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/2.4.1RC1/api_compare_2.4.0_to_2.4.1RC1.html

To learn more about Apache HBase, please see

    http://hbase.apache.org/

Thanks,
Your HBase Release Manager

Re: [VOTE] Second release candidate for HBase 2.4.1 (RC1) is available

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I made a pass over git history and ensured every commit was included. I had
also made a pass over JIRA to move out any unresolved issues or complete
the resolution of same. What I did not do is check that every resolved JIRA
corresponded to an actual commit. This is not something RMs have had to do
in the past and it asks a lot of them.

I know NOW that as RM I cannot currently trust committers to get fix
versions right or care about this. That is not a good situation for the
project to be in. Up until now it has not been the responsibility of the RM
to check each and every JIRA status. It has been the collective
responsibility of committers to care about the project's release tracking
insofar as to correctly update fix versions in JIRA.

This is very concerning, how far and fast fix version discipline has
fallen. I would go so far as to call it a crisis for the project. I think
the root cause is GitHub and JIRA are two separate change tracking systems
with only a minimal amount of integration. It requires manual effort. More
and more, new committers are familiar with GitHub and PRs and are not
familiar with JIRA and the Apache way of using JIRA to build change logs.
We need to better educate new and existing committers on their
responsibilities with regards to maintaining JIRA metadata correctly.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

[WITHDRAWN] [VOTE] Second release candidate for HBase 2.4.1 (RC1) is available

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
HBASE-25083 is not a big deal in my opinion. Although it is incorrect it is
"make sure the next hbase 1.y release has Hadoop 2.10 as a minimum
version". As documentation is generated from master, really, only master
branch is where we care about whether this is included or not. Still
annoying, though.

HBASE-25404 is a problem. The change log is still incorrect. This time,
including things that are not actually committed there. Last time, the
problem was NOT including things that were committed.

I wrote a separate email to dev@ calling out the decline in committer
attention to maintaining correct fix version metadata in JIRA and I expect
it to be resolved project wide. In the meantime I will sink this RC and
make another with an, again, corrected change log.

-1

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [VOTE] Second release candidate for HBase 2.4.1 (RC1) is available

Posted by Viraj Jasani <vj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,