Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Cooke, Mark" <ma...@siemens-healthineers.com> on 2017/11/21 15:11:51 UTC

Recommended apr / openssl etc. library version for svn ?

Hello,

Is there any support for building svn with OpenSSL 1.1.0 yet?  I did a search in the archives and only came up with Stefan's MaxSVN build which has so far excluded the update from 1.0.2 [1] but that was back in February?

[1] https://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2017-02/0145.shtml

I managed to build httpd with apr 1.6.2 and OpenSSL 1.1.0g (using `cvtdsp.pl -ossl11`) but the subversion build has 113 errors and I am wondering if this is worth persevering with?

If not, is the MaxSVN dependency list about the best recommendation?

*Apache httpd 2.4.23 (.29)
*Apache Serf(tm) 1.3.9
*APR 1.5.2 (1.6.3)
*APR-util 1.5.4 (1.6.1)
*APR iconv 1.2.1 (1.2.2)
*Expat 2.2.0 (2.2.5)
*OpenSSL 1.0.2j (.2m)
*PCRE 8.39 (8.41)
*SQLite 3.15.1 (amalgamation) (3.21)
*ZLib 1.2.8 (1.2.11)

...subject to security updates of course (brackets show latest version at time of writing)!

Thanks,

~ Mark C

Re: Recommended apr / openssl etc. library version for svn ?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 22.11.2017 07:28, Cooke, Mark wrote:
> [...]

That's possible; HTTPD does use PCRE and possibly APR-iconv (on Windows).

>>> *SQLite 3.19.3
>>> *ZLib 1.2.11
>>>
>>> Specifically, in the case of openssl, I found this bug tracking all
>>> the compatibility problems: https://bugs.gentoo.org/592438 . Seems
>>> like you probably want to stay away from it.
>> Serf trunk can be compiled with 1.1, but I'm not sure how far along the 1.3.x release branch is.
>> Whilst OpenSSL 1.1 has made some really unfortunate decisions that break API compatibility with the
>> 1.0.x line, there are also a number of serious bugs fixed in it ...
>>
>> -- Brane
> ...so is svn still waiting on support in other packages?

Subversion does not use OpenSSL directly. It uses Serf, which in turn
uses OpenSSL to support HTTPS.

>   Bottom line is that I should still use the 1.0.2 line for now?

Yes.

-- Brane

RE: Recommended apr / openssl etc. library version for svn ?

Posted by "Cooke, Mark" <ma...@siemens-healthineers.com>.

...so is svn still waiting on support in other packages?  Bottom line is that I should still use the 1.0.2 line for now?

Thanks to Brane and Eric.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 21.11.2017 21:43, Eric Johnson wrote:
> I don't know if this helps, but I run Subversion on a Gentoo system,
> which is constantly upgrading to newer versions of software. Gentoo
> does a really good job of only marking stuff stable when it is
> actually stable. So if Gentoo doesn't have openssl 1.1 in use, there's
> a really good reason.
>
> This is what is currently "stable" on my Gentoo system running
> Subversion (which is a few weeks old - minor updates might be available):

Not-so-minor updates are, in fact available. :)

> *Apache httpd 2.4.27
> *Apache Serf(tm) 1.3.8

Should be 1.3.9.

> *APR 1.5.2

[...]