Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/10/02 21:40:30 UTC

Priorities for 1.2

We have collected 14 features for 1.2 and now we need to prioritize
them.  The sorted list of features will help guide us in determining
when to release based on how many high priority features we have
completed.

Please, sort the following list according to what *you* believe are
the most important features to include in 1.2.  It will help me tally
the list if you simply reorder the list instead of putting numbers
next to the features.  Also, please *do not* attempt to give more
than one feature the same priority.  In such a case, I will give
priority to the highest left-most item in your list.

I will tally the results on Friday, October 6th.

-dain

OpenJPA integration
Global JNDI
Yoko ORB support
Full Java 5 support
JAF 1.1
GShell integration
CMP improvements
Console usability improvements
Jetspeed integration
More server modularization via plugins
Console extensibility
More out of the box samples
OpenEJB 3.0 integration with @Stateless EJBs support
Geronimo OSGi bundle

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
In this user's opinion (for what it's worth):

Full Java 5 support
Geronimo OSGi bundle
Console usability improvements
Global JNDI
Console extensibility
More out of the box samples
OpenJPA integration
Yoko ORB support
JAF 1.1
GShell integration
CMP improvements
Jetspeed integration
More server modularization via plugins
OpenEJB 3.0 integration with @Stateless EJBs support

...although after "more samples" I don't really care about any of the
features.

Thanks for asking!

Toby

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Sorry to be completely late on this thread but I'd like to add one
more to the list...

- Improved Tooling/Runtime integration.  Abstract out use of JarFile
in deployers so J2EE deployment can occur in-place within IDE project
structures.

On Oct 2, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> We have collected 14 features for 1.2 and now we need to prioritize
> them.  The sorted list of features will help guide us in
> determining when to release based on how many high priority
> features we have completed.
>
> Please, sort the following list according to what *you* believe are
> the most important features to include in 1.2.  It will help me
> tally the list if you simply reorder the list instead of putting
> numbers next to the features.  Also, please *do not* attempt to
> give more than one feature the same priority.  In such a case, I
> will give priority to the highest left-most item in your list.
>
> I will tally the results on Friday, October 6th.
>
> -dain
>

> OpenJPA integration
> Global JNDI
> Yoko ORB support
> Full Java 5 support
> JAF 1.1
> GShell integration
> CMP improvements
> Console usability improvements
> Jetspeed integration
> More server modularization via plugins
> Console extensibility
> More out of the box samples
> OpenEJB 3.0 integration with @Stateless EJBs support
> Geronimo OSGi bundle

-sachin

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
OpenJPA integration
Yoko ORB support
Full Java 5 support
Global JNDI

-David

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Global JNDI
Console extensibility

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 6, 2006, at 2:37 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> Is Cayenne integration an example of JPA integration?

Yes.

> If so if you have a little time would you like to try adapting the
> sandbox/javaee/itests/jpa example to  cayenne?

I'll take a look.

> Also I suspect Cayenne integration will require GlobalJNDI --
> openjpa does.

I also suspect that.

Andrus

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Is Cayenne integration an example of JPA integration?  If so if you
have a little time would you like to try adapting the sandbox/javaee/
itests/jpa example to  cayenne?  If not, what do you have in mind?

Also I suspect Cayenne integration will require GlobalJNDI -- openjpa
does.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
I guess you are joking, but of course I was referring to the "list of
prioritized issues" not the "mailing list" :-)

Andrus

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/2/06, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:
> Please, sort the following list according to what *you* believe are
> the most important features to include in 1.2.  It will help me tally
> the list if you simply reorder the list instead of putting numbers
> next to the features.  Also, please *do not* attempt to give more
> than one feature the same priority.  In such a case, I will give
> priority to the highest left-most item in your list.

Full Java 5 support
Yoko ORB support   (assuming its a prereq of above)
OpenEJB 3.0 integration with @Stateless EJBs support
OpenJPA integration
More server modularization via plugins
GShell integration
More out of the box samples
Global JNDI
Console extensibility
Console usability improvements
Jetspeed integration
CMP improvements
JAF 1.1
Geronimo OSGi bundle

Paul

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 10/2/06, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> wrote:

> Please, sort the following list according to what *you* believe are
> the most important features to include in 1.2.  It will help me tally
> the list if you simply reorder the list instead of putting numbers
> next to the features.  Also, please *do not* attempt to give more
> than one feature the same priority.  In such a case, I will give
> priority to the highest left-most item in your list.
>
> I will tally the results on Friday, October 6th.

Here's my take on it:

More out of the box samples
OpenJPA integration
Full Java 5 support

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Heinz Drews <he...@gmail.com>.
If there is interest in a non-committer opinion then my list would be:

Yoko ORB support  (Assuming that this is necessary to get Java 5 fully
supported)
Full Java 5 support
Console usability improvements
Global JNDI
Geronimo OSGi bundle
More server modularization via plugins
Console extensibility
OpenJPA integration
CMP improvements
JAF 1.1
OpenEJB 3.0 integration with @Stateless EJBs support
Jetspeed integration
GShell integration
More out of the box samples

Heinz

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Security improvements.
Most Security JIRAs should be addressed in 1.2

--vamsi

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Global JNDI
Yoko ORB support
Full Java 5 support
More out of the box samples

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
OpenJPA integration
GShell integration
Global JNDI
Full Java 5 support
More out of the box samples

Thanks,
Gianny

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.
Another non-committer's list:

OpenEJB 3.0 integration with @Stateless EJBs support
CMP improvements
OpenJPA integration
Full Java 5 support
Yoko ORB support (This is required for full java 5 support isn't it?)
Global JNDI
More out of the box samples
Geronimo OSGi bundle
Jetspeed integration
GShell integration

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hmm. I could understand a poll to understand what items we should be
*working* on. But you're posing this as a release wish list... I
don't think it works like that... Planning a release isn't just what
functions we would you like to see... It's a mix of "what" and "when"...

For a 1.2 release, I'd target:

    Yoko ORB support
    Full Java 5 support

Fill in some gaps from this list:

    Console extensibility
    Console usability improvements
    More out of the box samples

If any of the following are available in a reasonable timeframe, then
include these.

    Geronimo OSGi bundle
    Global JNDI
    OpenJPA integration
    JAF 1.1
    OpenEJB 3.0 integration with @Stateless EJBs support
    Jetspeed integration
    GShell integration
    More server modularization via plugins

--kevan

Re: Priorities for 1.2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Global JNDI
OpenJPA integration
Yoko ORB support
OpenEJB 3.0 integration with @Stateless EJBs support
More server modularization via plugins
Console usability improvements
Console extensibility
Full Java 5 support <<<<<<< what does this mean???
GShell integration
CMP improvements
Jetspeed integration
More out of the box samples
JAF 1.1
Geronimo OSGi bundle

I'll comment that I voted for time-boxed releases and I've ordered my
list based primarily on putting the projects that are AFAIK being
actively worked on first.  ATM I plan to vote for release as soon as
we have the tck passing.

Many of the features above may not be compatible with a j2ee 1.4
server due to signature incompatibilities.  I'm still waiting for an
update from Geir on whether there will be updates to these tests to
allow shipping a j2ee 1.4 server with jee5 spec jars.  If not we will
have to figure out what we can do to certify yet allow our users to
try out the shiny new features.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Priorities for 1.2