Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Alexander Ilyin <al...@weborama.com> on 2016/10/17 15:26:05 UTC

HBase restart without region reassigning

Hi,

We have a 7-node HBase cluster (version 1.1.2) and we change some of its
settings from time to time which requires a restart. The problem is that
every time after the restart load balancer reassigns the regions making
data locality low.

To address this issue we tried the settings described here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6389,
"hbase.master.wait.on.regionservers.interval"
in particular. We tried it two times in slightly different ways but neither
of them worked. First time we did a rolling restart (master, then each of
datanodes) and we saw 14 datanodes instead of 7 in Master UI. Half of them
had the regions on it while the other half was empty. We restarted master
only and we got 7 empty datanodes in Master UI. After that we rollbacked
the setting.

Second time we restarted master and datanodes at the same time but master
failed to read meta table, moved it to a different datanode and reassigned
the regions again.

Please advise on how to use hbase.master.wait.on.regionservers.* settings
properly. Launching major compactions for all the tables after each config
change seems to be an overkill. Attaching Master server logs with relevant
lines for two attempts mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

Re: HBase restart without region reassigning

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Since you are using 1.1.2, you may want to look at HBASE-14531 which was
fixed in 1.1.3

FYI

Posted by Alexander Ilyin <al...@weborama.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Carroll <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Ilyin <al...@weborama.com>.
Hi Dima,

These are instances in the cloud and we're using Consul for name
resolution. Regarding network settings, your question is a bit broad...
Which settings would you recommend to check first?

Posted by Dima Spivak <di...@apache.org>.
Hey Alexander,

--
-Dima