Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/25 08:53:48 UTC

Vote to promote VSS antlib out of sandbox

Hi all,

I've not been very active lately (for a variety of reasons) and I
realise that it's been a couple of years since we last had a vote on
the VSS antlib currently in sandbox limbo.

Given that MSDN licenses are available to apache committers, there's
now a chance that someone has access to a VSS install disk/iso and we
may therefore be able to find 3 committers willing to +1 this antlib.

Advantages:
- finally get it out of sandbox!
- in theory, close a few open bugzilla issues that are 'broken' in the
included versions of the tasks, but fixed in the antlib
- remove the vss tasks from the ant-core project and reduce our
dependencies (especially on 3rd party commercial software)
- in theory we can bring in other developers and give them commit
access just to this antlib (that was the point of antlibs after all)

Disadvantages:
- VSS has been superseded by TFS (which we will probably have to look
at supporting at some point)
- limited committer support at the last vote suggests that we may only
scrape together enough to promote out of sandbox, just to have a
committer leave and then we've effectively got an antlib with little
support

Anyway, enough talk.

The VSS antlib[1] should be promoted from sandbox
[ ] Yes
[ ] No, because...

and my +1

Thanks,
Kev

[1]http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ant/sandbox/antlibs/vss/

Re: Vote to promote VSS antlib out of sandbox

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1
Peter

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
  +1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-09-01, Kevin Jackson wrote:

> I have the day off tomorrow (Vietnamese Independence Day), so I will
> get working on moveing the codebase from sandbox to antlibs proper
> (this is were I screw up svn :)

<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/sandbox/antlibs/promote.xml> may
help - it expects you to have a certain layout in your filesystem and a
command line svn client in PATH but should perform most of the required
svn operations.

> When this is moved into antlibs, we will probably need to:
> a: tidy it up (with respect to the new work Stefan has done on antlib
>    common files)

Shouldn't be necessary.

> b: test and schedule a 1.0 release vote when people are happy it's up
>    to scratch
> c: vote to remove the old vss code from core/trunk (as it won't be needed)

Yep.

> My time is currently limited, so I'll help to nudge the process along
> when I can, but this may take longer than some other antlib promotions
> (compress for example)

This only took a bit more than a year 8-)

OK, I spent half a year waiting for Commons Compress 1.1 get released.

Stefan

Re: Vote to promote VSS antlib out of sandbox

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ant/antlibs/vss/

We now have a promoted vss antlib.  I've also updated the xdocs to
reflect this, but I'm unsure about the correct steps to publish
changes to the site.

Thanks to Stefan for promote.xml - the largest portion of the time was
taken up with me not understanding how to use it - so I'm adding some
'help' doc into it for next time.

Kev

Re: Vote to promote VSS antlib out of sandbox

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:
>  We've already had a vote on this which passed.
> http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=127697274731069&w=2
>
> I'd change point c to just removing the old code from core.

Good point I forgot that VSS was wrapped up in that vote

Kev

Re: Vote to promote VSS antlib out of sandbox

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It's been a week (or slightly over) since I called the vote and it
seems that this time we squeaked through with:
5 +1s from me, Stefan, Bruce, Peter and Conor

no vetoes so vss antlib is in the clear (at last!)

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 16:53, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The VSS antlib[1] should be promoted from sandbox
> [ ] Yes
> [ ] No, because...

+1

Conor

Re: Vote to promote VSS antlib out of sandbox

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-08-25, Kevin Jackson wrote:

> The VSS antlib[1] should be promoted from sandbox
> [ ] Yes
> [ ] No, because...

+1

Stefan