Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Checksum <cg...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/06 23:27:58 UTC

NetBeans Roller Project

Are there any good tutorials for creating a Roller project in NetBeans, or
can someone give a rundown on the best way to do this?

I recently downloaded Roller into NetBeans via the subversion profile, but
received an error right off the bat related to a pojos class when trying to
build the application.  Once I cleaned the project though the build ran
successfully.  After building from source in NetBeans and testing all units
I wanted to deploy the app to Tomcat so I mapped the target "deploy-tomcat"
to NetBeans "Deploy project" menu item, but again ran into another problem
which required me to edit the ant.properties and custom-ant.xmlf files for
my specific setup.  Once I did that the I was able to run the "Deploy
project" menu item to propogate my build to the Tomcat webapp directory, but
again I ran into a problem when trying to start the web app from under the
Tomcat server runtime menu related to JDBC connectivity to the database.  I
assume from here I need to make the JDBC available globally via the
CLASSPATH, and install and configure my database of choice, but am I
complicating things here?  Is there an easier way to handle this?

Antwort: Re: NetBeans Roller Project

Posted by Thomas-W Hofmann <th...@db.com>.
thank you very much - working

-Thomas
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Thomas Hofmann

Dave <sn...@gmail.com> schrieb am 06/12/2006 23:34:11:

> I just checked in my latest Netbeans project file for Roller. If you
> get the latest code from SVN trunk you should be able to open Roller
> as a Netbeans project. Run the 'rebuild' target from the Ant build.xml
> file and all of the missing Struts form beans and wrapper classes will
> be generated for you.
>
> - Dave
>

> On 12/6/06, Checksum <cg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Are there any good tutorials for creating a Roller project in
NetBeans, or
> > can someone give a rundown on the best way to do this?
> >
> > I recently downloaded Roller into NetBeans via the subversion profile,
but
> > received an error right off the bat related to a pojos class when
trying to
> > build the application.  Once I cleaned the project though the build
ran
> > successfully.  After building from source in NetBeans and testing all
units
> > I wanted to deploy the app to Tomcat so I mapped the target
"deploy-tomcat"
> > to NetBeans "Deploy project" menu item, but again ran into another
problem
> > which required me to edit the ant.properties and custom-ant.xmlf files
for
> > my specific setup.  Once I did that the I was able to run the "Deploy
> > project" menu item to propogate my build to the Tomcat webapp
directory, but
> > again I ran into a problem when trying to start the web app from under
the
> > Tomcat server runtime menu related to JDBC connectivity to the
database.  I
> > assume from here I need to make the JDBC available globally via the
> > CLASSPATH, and install and configure my database of choice, but am I
> > complicating things here?  Is there an easier way to handle this?
> > --

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

Re: NetBeans Roller Project

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Re: NetBeans Roller Project

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 12/6/06, Checksum <cg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any good tutorials for creating a Roller project in NetBeans, or
> can someone give a rundown on the best way to do this?
>
> I recently downloaded Roller into NetBeans via the subversion profile, but
> received an error right off the bat related to a pojos class when trying to
> build the application.  Once I cleaned the project though the build ran
> successfully.  After building from source in NetBeans and testing all units
> I wanted to deploy the app to Tomcat so I mapped the target "deploy-tomcat"
> to NetBeans "Deploy project" menu item, but again ran into another problem
> which required me to edit the ant.properties and custom-ant.xmlf files for
> my specific setup.  Once I did that the I was able to run the "Deploy
> project" menu item to propogate my build to the Tomcat webapp directory, but
> again I ran into a problem when trying to start the web app from under the
> Tomcat server runtime menu related to JDBC connectivity to the database.  I
> assume from here I need to make the JDBC available globally via the
> CLASSPATH, and install and configure my database of choice, but am I
> complicating things here?  Is there an easier way to handle this?

You've probably seen the Developer Guide
http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=DeveloperGuide

Here's what I do for my edit-compile-test loop:

1) Run the "rebuild" target to clean and build Roller

2) In my Tomcat install:
- Put JDBC driver in common/lib
- Put my roller-custom.properties in common/classes
- Create a roller.xml in conf/Catalina/localhost
(path to webapp is <roller source dir>/build/webapp

3) When I change just a JSP
- Run the "build" target to copy the JSP to build/webapp
- No Tomcat restart is necessary

4) When I change a Java class
- Run the "build" target to compile and copy updated jar to build/webapp
- Restart Tomcat

5) When I change a POJO, some code and config regen is necessary
- Run the "rebuild" target to rebuild and regen the world
- Restart Tomcat

6) To debug a single unit test
- Set break point in test
- Select the test class in Netbeans Files or Project view
- Use Run->Run File->Debug Test blahtest.java
A target in custom/custom-ant.xmlf ensures that the embeded Derby
database is created, started, the test is run, then the database is
shut down.

I've experimented with redeploying on Tomcat and Glassfish, but never
got it working to my satisfaction.

Hope that helps.

- Dave