Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2014/11/23 19:53:10 UTC

MPMD-193/Consequences of PMD upgrade 5.1.1+

Hi,

I stumbled upon MPMD-193 and rejected to apply the provided patch.
Version 5.1.1 introduced in CPD a postConstruct method which
intentionally modifies system variables just because someone was too
lazy to pass encoding to file readers:
https://github.com/pmd/pmd/blob/pmd_releases/5.1.1/pmd/src/main/java/net/sourceforge/pmd/cpd/CPDConfiguration.java#L122-L123

Should we downgrade PMD or file an issue with PMD?

Michael

Re: MPMD-193/Consequences of PMD upgrade 5.1.1+

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le dimanche 23 novembre 2014 19:53:10 Michael Osipov a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I stumbled upon MPMD-193 and rejected to apply the provided patch.
> Version 5.1.1 introduced in CPD a postConstruct method which
> intentionally modifies system variables just because someone was too
> lazy to pass encoding to file readers:
> https://github.com/pmd/pmd/blob/pmd_releases/5.1.1/pmd/src/main/java/net/sou
> rceforge/pmd/cpd/CPDConfiguration.java#L122-L123
>
> Should we downgrade PMD or file an issue with PMD?
for sure, filing an issue with PMD is the first thing to do

I don't think downgrading is really necessary: filing an issue in MPMD linking
to the PMD issue to track the fix in PMD is more important

Regards,

Hervé