Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Peter von Kaenel <Pe...@harmonicinc.com> on 2009/01/19 12:10:50 UTC

Automated nightly build ... only when updated

Hi,

I have a very simple nightly build script that performs an update,
rebuilds everything, and then emails out a report with the build
results.  This runs every night which is a bit annoying if the project
has not been updated.  Is there way to build a script that only performs
the build and emails the result if there has been an update?  I did a
quick check on svn return codes, and could not find anything useful.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

RE: Automated nightly build ... only when updated

Posted by Peter von Kaenel <Pe...@harmonicinc.com>.
Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions, the svnversion solution seems
to have done the trick.

Peter

Posted by DW Dennis Wheeler <dw...@ag.com>.

________________________________

Posted by Olivier Sannier <ob...@free.fr>.
Peter von Kaenel wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a very simple nightly build script that performs an update,
> rebuilds everything, and then emails out a report with the build
> results.  This runs every night which is a bit annoying if the project
> has not been updated.  Is there way to build a script that only
> performs the build and emails the result if there has been an update?
> I did a quick check on svn return codes, and could not find anything
> useful.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svn.c.status.html

Look for the |--show-updates option, it should help you out.

RE: Automated nightly build ... only when updated

Posted by Jorge M <jm...@e-dialog.com>.
If you want a more robust solution than a script, you may want to take a
look at Hudson.

https://hudson.dev.java.net/

-Jorge

________________________________

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.
Wouldn't "svn info svn://server/repos/some/dir" do the trick?  Just
check the "Last changed Rev" or "Last Changed Date" values.  IIRC, the
"last changed" fields are updated whenever anything in the subtree is
updated.

Posted by Jim Hanley <jh...@DGtlRift.com>.
We use gmake with GMSL and I have a set of macro functions that send
out an email summery to a set of users only if there were dependencies
out of date that triggers targets to be rebuilt, and if build fails it
will attempt to figure out what dependencies triggered the target to
be rebuilt and from that who possibly broke it based on check-in
history.

Posted by Luke Imhoff <lu...@cray.com>.
You could have the nightly build script run under the control of a
daemon that listens for events from a post-commit script.

Posted by Parashkev Penev <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Here are my 2 cents.

I have a custom build system and doxygen generator that are supposed
to run after every commit. My solution was/still is the use of a post-
commit hook that "touches" (creates) a file. I have then running in a
cronjob: (as logic only)

if lock_file is there
	exit "`Another instance is building right now"
else
	if touch_file is there
		remove touch file
		run build scripts
	end
remove lock_file
end

The use of a "lock_file" I found to be a requirement since building
the code may take up to 5 minutes sometimes, and my cronjob runs every
minute or so.

This solution is probably not as nice as a continuous build tool
(CruiseControl), but with a custom build system it works pretty well.

Br

Paro

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.