Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Ryan Crumley <ry...@whisperwire.com> on 2004/04/20 01:16:04 UTC

Large XLS file and out of memory errors

I am trying to create a sheet with > 500k cells but have been unable to
due to out of memory exceptions. A memory dump of the heap at the time
of the OOM shows POI using about 90% of the heap, with a majority of the
memory being taken up by HSSFCell objects.

The data itself is highly redundant. Many of the cells on one sheet will
have the same value and style. It would be nice if these cells could be
reused to save memory.

Does anyone know if this is possible with POI 2.5? If not, would it be
possible to modify POI to support such a feature (could someone point me
in the right direction)? What is the status of POI 3.0? Is that
something that might be helpful for my problem?

Thanks,
ryan