Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au> on 2003/08/24 12:20:47 UTC

Apache Mirrors

Peoples,

I think many are aware that the ASF has put in place a system that
allows other sites to mirror the files available for download from the
various Apache web sites.  This is all goodness - it allows people to
download from closer to home at the same time as reducing the bandwidth
utilisation for the main Apache site.

The XML project is lagging a bit behind other projects in moving to this
new scheme, and it's time we bit the bullet and made this happen.  The
aim is to try to do this within 2 months - i.e. by the end of October.

Of the various XML sub-projects, fop, forrest and security have already
moved over to the new system.  That leaves :

Xerces-J
Xerces-C
Xerces-P
Xalan-J
Xalan-C
Batik
Commons
Xindice
AxKit

It would be great if the PMC members could look at what needs to be done
to make this happen for their sub-projects.  If people could report back
to General as to who is going to take on what and then how they are
going, I will keep a status list.

Having done this for the xml-security sub-project, I can vouch for this
not being a huge piece of work :>.

Instructions for what needs to be done can be found at :

http://cvs.apache.org/~bodewig/mirror.html

and

http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html

We probably also want to put together a general download page for the
project - but one thing at a time :>.

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: Apache Mirrors

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:38:52 +0200
> Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> wrote:
>

>>>status?
>>
>>Why don't you check for yourself?
>
> How can I?

http://apache.belnet.be/dist/

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Apache Mirrors

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

__ Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> __

Re: Apache Mirrors

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Apache Mirrors

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
status?

__ Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> __

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:20:47 +1000
(Subject: Apache Mirrors)

Re: Apache Mirrors

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
i've moved a few products over to the mirrors in jakartaland. for products
which are part of a mirror top level project (eg. xml.apache.org), i think
things are much easier that is suggested in the links below. it means
setting up the common directory layout (maybe it'd be easier for someone
to do this at one sitting for all xml sub-projects), setting up a code
signing key, downloading and signing the releases to be mirrored then
uploading into the new directory structure.

i think that infrastructure would prefer just the most recent releases
moved to the mirrors with everything else moving (eventually) to archives
but it might be best to check with them to confirm that this is right.

i've been putting together a simple check list page to help people in
jakartaland make the move so maybe i'll post an url here when it's done.

- robert