Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Michael Smith <mj...@iii.co.uk> on 1998/03/12 20:16:21 UTC

Setting up base in South Africa

Guys,

This is a bit of topic, but you are they guys in the know!

My company is investigating setting up a web site for those folks in
South Africa.  Apparently (this is second hand research), most of the
connections out of South Africa are incredibly slow, hence the idea has
been floated of actually setting up a physical presence down there.

I'm not too keen on the sound of this, because the sheer technical
logistics could be a complete nightmare, so I'm wondering if you folks
have any suggestions as to how a site based in the UK could be made to
look reasonably fast to users in SA.

One idea that did occur to me was to set up a caching proxy-server down
there.  Some web sites in South Africa (well I'm guessing that is where
they are) appear to give me a reasonably fast response.  I guess it
would be possible to set up some a proxy server at that end which took
all requests and then came back to the UK for any dynamic data.

Any other ideas?

Mike

Re: Setting up base in South Africa

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Michael Smith wrote:

> Guys,
>
> This is a bit of topic, but you are they guys in the know!
>
> My company is investigating setting up a web site for those folks in
> South Africa.  Apparently (this is second hand research), most of the
> connections out of South Africa are incredibly slow, hence the idea has
> been floated of actually setting up a physical presence down there.

cvs, cvsup and cron make mirroring robust and fast; ssh makes
remote maintenance feasible.