Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2012/12/06 00:29:06 UTC

Draft release notes for Apache Flex 4.9

Hi,

Feedback welcome:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/flex/sdk/branches/release4.9/RELEASE_NOTES?revision=1417693&view=markup

In particular any import JIRA fixes I've missed?

Does anything need to be done to the installer to update it to show (and install) 4.9?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Draft release notes for Apache Flex 4.9

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Ok, I agree with that, I thought to remember it was said like that from
while.

Thank's.

- Fred.

> Doest it mean after the release, the develop branch gonna be on 5.0 ?
I'd suggest "4.10.0" - unless i'st a major release with major changes.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Doest it mean after the release, the develop branch gonna be on 5.0 ?

- Fred

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> "- the frameworks/textLayout src is not included which means there is not a
> textLayout RSL. We expect this difference to be limited to this release."
>
> can go way because we do have the source for frameworks/projects/textLayout
> now.

Done.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Nice work!

I think this line under "Differences from Adobe Flex 4.6.0:"

"- the frameworks/textLayout src is not included which means there is not a
textLayout RSL. We expect this difference to be limited to this release."

can go way because we do have the source for frameworks/projects/textLayout
now.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Is this still true?
>
> - the frameworks/textLayout src is not included which means there is not a textLayout RSL.  We expect this difference to be limited to this release.

For the parity release yes (and it under the 4.8 heading), we have the source code for the 4.8 release (noted under the 4.9 heading)

Posted by Dasa Paddock <dp...@esri.com>.
Is this still true?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> "For a full list see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX"
>
> Could this be changed to a link with a filter on that picks out the relevant
> issues?

It could be but it seems that we've not  been consistent in tagging JIRA issues so I'm not sure how much value it is:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20FLEX%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%22Adobe%20Flex%20SDK%204.6%20(Release)%22%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC

Posted by Ian Appleby <Ia...@bcs.org>.
Hi,

Nothing major, but as a nicety:
"For a full list see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX"

Could this be changed to a link with a filter on that picks out the relevant
issues?
I'd have a go, but it seems to be down right now.

"- A SDK installer" should be "An", forgive my pedantry.

-Ian

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
It was 2 months ago :)

you can give cygwin a lower priority.
Write a new batch file, for exampe "cygstart.bat" with the following
content:

# cygstart.bat
start "Cygwin" /low C:\cygwin\Cygwin.bat

It still makes my computer slow but I can work with.

- Fred.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Fred,

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> It is correct that the SDK can be built with Java7 and you can compile
> mxml files on the command line.
What would you suggest the release note say about this?

> and why asdoc is broken.
I think I've solved that one.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
On 12/6/12 12 :42PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>HI,
>
>> why asdoc is broken.
>
>In ParagraphElement.as there's a getter name the same as the private
>variable, this causes asdoc to fail.
>
>The getter it not actually used anywhere (that I could find) and is in
>the tlf_internal namespace so I think it would be safe to rename it like
>so:
>
>From:
>tlf_internal function get _interactiveChildrenCount():int
>{
>	return _interactiveChildrenCount;
>}
>
>To:
>tlf_internal function get interactiveChildrenCount():int
>{
>	return _interactiveChildrenCount;
>}

Ah that explains why asdoc "all of a sudden" broke.  It must have happened
when I moved the tlf code into our build.

Carol

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

From:

To:

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/6/12 9:53 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> IMO, not too late to check in the pending fixes.
>
> Yep agree. Just need to decide if you check into the release branch (and we
> merge back into the develop later) OR provide patch files to apply to the
> release branch.
IMO, the only safe way is to apply changes to the release branch then merge
back to develop either now or later.  If you provide a patch created from
the develop branch and apply it to the release branch, there is no guarantee
it will do the right thing if there is variance between the develop and
release branches (which isn't the case now, but could happen someday).

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Draft release notes for Apache Flex 4.9

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/6/12 10:58 AM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 12/6/12 12 :53PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> IMO, not too late to check in the pending fixes.
>>
>> Yep agree. Just need to decide if you check into the release branch (and
>> we merge back into the develop later) OR provide patch files to apply to
>> the release branch.
>
> I would check into the develop branch and merge to the release branch.

You can do that for now since the two branches do not have skew, but once
there is, it is too easy to accidentally bring over unintended code from
develop to release.  In the same way we would rarely merge from trunk to
branches, we should rarely merge from develop to its branches.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Draft release notes for Apache Flex 4.9

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 12/6/12 11 :16AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>>> 13  - Apache Flex SDK can can be compiled for any version of the Flash
>>> Player from 10.2 to 11.5
>>
>> "can can" should be fixed.  And is this really true?  Have all versions
>> been tested?
>
>As far as I'm aware the Mustellla tests have not been run for each
>version but each version has been compiled against.
>

>>> 17  - Can use Java 7 to compile SDK (see README for instructions)
>>
>> This is true but FlashBuilder appears not to be able to compile mxml
>>files
>> when the SDK is built with Java 7.
>Is this in JIRA? I added this because this issue had been marked as fixed:
>https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33110

It is correct that the SDK can be built with Java7 and you can compile
mxml files on the command line.  I'm not sure you can compile with that
SDK and FlashBuilder.  No there is not a JIRA bug.  It's on my list of
things to look at. There was almost no notice that a release was going to

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
  Differences from Apache Flex 4.8.0:

> 13  - Apache Flex SDK can can be compiled for any version of the Flash
>Player from 10.2 to 11.5

"can can" should be fixed.  And is this really true?  Have all versions
been tested?

> 16  - New version of the TLF (Text Layout Framework), the TLF 3.0.33
>source code is now included

I would mention it is included because it has been donated and is now part
of Apache Flex.

> 17  - Can use Java 7 to compile SDK (see README for instructions)

This is true but FlashBuilder appears not to be able to compile mxml files
when the SDK is built with Java 7.  There seems to be some sort of
conflict with batik which I have not debugged.

> 18  - Many improvements and updates to Mustella tests

I didn't think we were releasing mustella in our source package.  If we
are the kitting needs to be changed since it only includes enough of
mustella to build checkin tests.

>  - the frameworks/textLayout src is not included which means there is
>not a textLayout
>54    RSL.  We expect this difference to be limited to this release.

I know this is under the 4.6 section but I still think this is confusing
if you are skimming quickly.  I would be explicit.  The src is not
included in Apache Flex 4.8 but it is included in Apache Flex 4.9, or
something to that effect.

What about the maven stuff?

Carol

Re: Draft release notes for Apache Flex 4.9

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> BTW most projects include a list of the fixed bugs right in the release
> notes.
I have included a list of some of the bugs I think are of interest. A large number of JIRA issues are probably not of interest to users of the SDK. A large number relate to the installer, build scripts, falcon etc etc

>  Also as part of the release, all those resolved bugs need to be
> closed.  Ideally they would be verified first.
Any volunteers will to help out with this?

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
BTW most projects include a list of the fixed bugs right in the release
notes.  Also as part of the release, all those resolved bugs need to be
closed.  Ideally they would be verified first.  We got away with not doing
that last time but I think it is part of the standard Apache release
process which we should do.  It seems to be a tradition to provide the
number of fixed bugs, etc in the announcement release.

Carol