Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by micliz <mi...@amalphiarts.com> on 2010/01/02 23:08:32 UTC

Re: Trouble finding info on Spam issues

On 07.12.09 14:16, JaredDetroit wrote:
> 1.3  URI: URI hostname has long hexadecimal sequence
> Does anyone know what the issue is with the URI?  I can't find anything on
> this.  I don't see anything that could be an issue in my message.

apparently it contains long strinc to differentiate recipients. Spammers
use identifiers to verify e-mail addresses.

Has a solution been found for the URI hostname issue?  I have this same
issue.

What is the URI hostname?

Re: Trouble finding info on Spam issues

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 03.01.10 05:01, stef64 wrote:
> I've uploaded the complete raw source into pastebin...
>
> http://pastebin.com/m68ccb798
>
> and here is the spam score...
>
> Score Breakdown:
>
> 1.3 URI: URI hostname has long hexadecimal sequence
> 0.0 BODY: HTML included in message
> 1.7 BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
> 2.8 BODY: BASE64_LENGTH_79_INF

base64 text must be wrapped up to 76 characters per line. This one is not.

> 5.8 TOTAL - Any score below 5 is OK to send.

- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig

Re: Trouble finding info on Spam issues

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, stef64 wrote:

> I've uploaded the complete raw source into pastebin...
>
> http://pastebin.com/m68ccb798

That's only the HTML body text. That doesn't include any of the MIME
message markup or message headers generated by whatever tool takes that
and converts it into an email message, so much of any advice we can
provide will only be guesswork.

Can you paste a full email that your system is sending out? Or is this
evaluation score being generated by a tool that only wants a block of
HTML from you?

> Score Breakdown:
>
> 1.3 URI: URI hostname has long hexadecimal sequence

Long blocks of unreadable data in a URI can indicate it is a "tracking"
URI, used to identify precisely which recipient email address received the
message and actually accessed the URI. This is considered a sign of bulk
mail.

I don't see anything like that in the body text you posted, but I do see
what appear to be replacement tags for things like unsubscribe links. That
is the likely source for this hit (i.e. the URI that is replacing the tag
is encoded in this manner to identify the recipient so that an unsubscribe
can be properly processed). As you appear to be using a mailing list
service, this is likely a hit you'll just have to live with. Fixing it
would be something for your service provider to look into. It would
involve changing how they encode their unsubscribe (and other
subscriber-specific) links.

> 0.0 BODY: HTML included in message

Informational.

> 1.7 BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts

Please be considerate of your recipients who do not wish to receive, or
due to handicap are unable to read, HTML body parts, and also include a
plain text version of your body content in your messages.

As you are apparently only providing a block of HTML to your mailing
service, it's possible this is an inherent weakness of the mail service
you're using to send your messages. Contact your service provider and see
if they offer any way to also provide a plain-text body part in addition
to the HTML. If they do not, then you'll just have to accept this hit, and
also accept that you will not be communicating effectively with some
portion of your subscribers.

> 2.8 BODY: BASE64_LENGTH_79_INF

The message includes a part (typically an attachment) whose base64
encoding does not follow the relevant standards. This is a big problem.

Again, as this is probably related to the message your provider generates
rather than to the content you're trying to send, you should contact them
and tell them to fix their BASE64 encoding so that it's done properly.

In summary, there's probably little you yourself can do to reduce this
score apart from also providing a plain-text body part, assuming the tools
your mail provider offers even allow you to do that.

   Where We Want You To Go Today 07/05/07: Microsoft patents in-OS
   adware architecture incorporating spyware, profiling, competitor
   suppression and delivery confirmation (U.S. Patent #20070157227)
  14 days until Benjamin Franklin's 304th Birthday

Re: Trouble finding info on Spam issues

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
stef64 wrote:

> I've uploaded the complete raw source into pastebin...
>
> http://pastebin.com/m68ccb798
>
> and here is the spam score...
>
> Score Breakdown:
>
> 1.3 URI: URI hostname has long hexadecimal sequence
> 0.0 BODY: HTML included in message
> 1.7 BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
> 2.8 BODY: BASE64_LENGTH_79_INF
> 5.8 TOTAL - Any score below 5 is OK to send.

Grepping through the SA rule-set reveals this:

uri URI_HEX             m%^https?://[^/?]*\b[0-9a-f]{6,}\b%i
describe URI_HEX        URI hostname has long hexadecimal sequence

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: Trouble finding info on Spam issues

Posted by stef64 <st...@inweb.com.au>.
I'm getting exactly the same message as the OP and am struggling to
understand it, so a little help here would be awesome.  I'm happy to post
whatever you need to address this

Re: Trouble finding info on Spam issues

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 14:08 -0800, micliz wrote:

> On 07.12.09 14:16, JaredDetroit wrote:
> > 1.3  URI: URI hostname has long hexadecimal sequence
> > Does anyone know what the issue is with the URI?  I can't find anything on
> > this.  I don't see anything that could be an issue in my message.
>
> apparently it contains long strinc to differentiate recipients. Spammers
> use identifiers to verify e-mail addresses.

It I could see it that might help. However, if the sequence prefixes
each hex. digit pair with % or &# most (all?) web browsers will decode
this into ASCII: an easy way to read the string is to create a simple
web page with your text editor, past the string into it and then open
the file with a web browser.

HTH

Martin