Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Peter <bu...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/19 23:39:51 UTC

Cannot Install OpenOffice v 4.1.1 on Linux

Cannot Install OpenOffice v4.1.1
================================
Used your extensive (but not detailed enough for 80 year old
enthusiasts!!) help pages.

Am using Linux
Am using kubuntu 14.04  (now LTS version)  - Desktop version
Terminal:
bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ whereis soffice
soffice: /usr/bin/soffice /usr/bin/X11/soffice
-remove the symlink.   		> How??

Do not have another older version of Open Office
– NO  -using Libre Office
  Java 		– The current version is installed
* Linux Kernel version 2.6.18 or higher	YES – latest 64-bit
* glibc2 version 2.5 or higher		-NO	won't install
* gtk version 2.10.4 or higher		-NO	won't install
* Pentium III or later processor 	-AMD ATHLON  X4 645 Processor
* 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM recommended)	- 8 Gig
* Up to 1.55 GB available hard disk space  -100 G
* X Server with 1024x768 resolution (higher resolution recommended),
with at least 256 colors
			- 1920x1080
* Window Manager	- Linux version
* Gnome 2.16 or higher, with the gail 1.8.6 and the at-spi 1.7 packages,
required for support of assistive technology tools (AT tools).
	- Using kubuntu (desktop)
- at-spi 1.7 packages
- NO - selected> libatk (2.10.2-2ubuntu1) … instead
-My adaptor:amd64
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.38

So far am not impressed with OpenOffice.
Where could I get DETAILED instructions for an 80 year old guy?

Re: Cannot Install OpenOffice v 4.1.1 on Linux

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
I see this is the correct way of doing things.

If you did the following try doing /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice
(in the terminal)

This should start your OpenOffice, please confirm.

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Cannot Install OpenOffice v 4.1.1 on Linux

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 10/21/2014 01:56 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> I added some lines to help clarify the issue with the executable and
> also on other matters like becoming super user.
>
> Regards.

ok, thanks.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Cannot Install OpenOffice v 4.1.1 on Linux

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Is there a way that we can analyze the package?
I think is apt-cache show <package>

I wonder about the AOO version of the repo for Xubuntu, can you please
tell us if the Xubuntu repo is up to date?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Make sure soffice exist and is not a broken link in /usr/bin/soffice

If you install OpenOffice from our website, it will reside on
/opt/OpenOffice/program/soffice

Otherwise, please check the pacakge information, googling here is the
openoffice package for Kubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~apacheopenoffice

However is terribly outdate (3.4) currently we are on 4.1.1

My best recomendation is to download from our website.