Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ben Reif <Be...@cgi-ams.com> on 2005/12/16 21:07:08 UTC

wsdd - How do I represent return type of List?

I'm using Axis 1.3 to create document / literal style services, so as I
understand it, I need to be more declarative in my wsdd file and define
the operations. I have a method in my service that returns a List of
complex type objects. In reading through the documentation I need to set
the name, qname, returnQName, and returnType attributes. Something like:

<operation name="query" qname="?" returnQName="?" returnType="?">

I also noticed in the WSDDConstants class there were constants defined
for returnItemQName, returnItemType, itemQName, and itemType attributes,
but there is no mention of them in the documentation. Can anyone explain
how to represent a List of complex types as either an input parameter or
a return parameter in the <operation> tag? Also, what's the difference
between qname, returnQName and the returnType (which could also be a
QName maybe?).

Thanks a bunch,
Ben

Re: wsdd - How do I represent return type of List?

Posted by trebor iksrazal <ik...@yahoo.com>.
Anne actuallly helped me with 'List of complex
type objects' a couple days ago. I've done what you
describe alot with 'rpc encoded', but the future is
pointing to doc / lit, as you seem to be using anyways
:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-user&m=113459148202564&w=2

I've got it about 99% working at this point. I might
be able to help more code wise should you get stuck.

HTH,
iksrazal

--- Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ben,
>
> For better interoperability, you should convert your
> list into an array.
>
> See
> http://www.osmoticweb.com/axis-wsdd/operation.htm
> for documentation of
> the WSDD <operation> definition.
>
> name = the name of the Java method
> qname = the qname of the element that represents the
> method name in XML
> returnQName = the qname of the element that
> represents the return value in
> XML
> returnType = the XML type of the element that
> represents the return value
>
> Anne
>
> On 12/16/05, Ben Reif <Be...@cgi-ams.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Axis 1.3 to create document / literal
> style services, so as I
> > understand it, I need to be more declarative in my
> wsdd file and define the
> > operations. I have a method in my service that
> returns a List of complex
> > type objects. In reading through the documentation
> I need to set the name,
> > qname, returnQName, and returnType attributes.
> Something like:
> >
> > <operation name="query" qname="?" returnQName="?"
> returnType="?">
> >
> > I also noticed in the WSDDConstants class there
> were constants defined for
> > returnItemQName, returnItemType, itemQName, and
> itemType attributes, but
> > there is no mention of them in the documentation.
> Can anyone explain how to
> > represent a List of complex types as either an
> input parameter or a return
> > parameter in the <operation> tag? Also, what's the
> difference between qname,
> > returnQName and the returnType (which could also
> be a QName maybe?).
> >
> > Thanks a bunch,
> > Ben

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. -- Goethe"

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: wsdd - How do I represent return type of List?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Ben,

For better interoperability, you should convert your list into an array.

See http://www.osmoticweb.com/axis-wsdd/operation.htm for documentation of
the WSDD <operation> definition.

name = the name of the Java method
qname = the qname of the element that represents the method name in XML
returnQName = the qname of the element that represents the return value in
XML
returnType = the XML type of the element that represents the return value