Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by rouble <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/28 14:59:00 UTC

convert org.apache.log4j.Logger to org.apache.commons.logging.Log

Hi All,

The class I am working in has org.apache.log4j.Logger object, and I am
working with a third party library class that requires me to pass in a
org.apache.commons.logging.Log object to create an instance of the
factory object of that third party library.

The third party library uses the passed in Log object to send logs
directly to the same logger/logfile as the calling class. Note, that I
cannot change the third party library, but I do have access to
org.apache.commons.logging.Log in my own code.

I was wondering if it is possible to cast or convert a
org.apache.log4j.Logger to a org.apache.commons.logging.Log, or if I
need to create a new Log object and pass that in to the third party
library?

tia,
rouble

AW: convert org.apache.log4j.Logger to org.apache.commons.logging.Log

Posted by Bender Heri <hb...@ergonomics.ch>.
You cannot cast it. But if you instantiate the commons Logger with the same name as your log4j logger your log statements will end up in the same logger instance (log4j Logger). Commons logging is only a wrapper, and instantiates log4j if it finds a log4j.jar in the classpath (and not configured otherwise).
If you do not need special functionality of log4j interface which is not covered by commons-logging, I recommend that you replace the existing logger in your calling class by an instance of commons-logging Logger and use this instance to pass to the library and use for logging in the calling class.
Heri