Posted to user@poi.apache.org by am...@stagingconnections.com on 2005/10/12 08:43:25 UTC

Smaller POI JAR file?

I am using POI to create Excel files. Works quite nicely.

My only problem is the size of the POI jar file. I am using
poi-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar, which is 784kb. For reasons I won't go into,
I really need a smaller jar file.

Is there any way I can get a stripped down version of the POI jar with a
smaller file size? Perhaps one that only includes "core" classes?

All I am doing is creating a spreadsheet, adding some cells, changing some
font sizes and cell styles, then saving the spreadsheet to a file.

I have tried compiling my application with the POI sources, which
hopefully would just compile the subset of POI classes my application
needed. However, this seemed to compile pretty much every class in the poi
package....

Perhaps I could use an obfuscator to shrink the jar?

This email message (including any file attachments transmitted with it) is for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorised review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Any confidentiality or legal professional privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of the company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

RE: Smaller POI JAR file?

Posted by am...@stagingconnections.com.
I've managed to reduce the size even further by recompiling the POI
library using the "-g:none" option to compile without debugging
information.
This has reduced the filesize from 340k to 247k.

Thanks very much for your very helpful suggestion.

amross@stagingconnections.com
13/10/2005 10:04
Please respond to
"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>

"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Smaller POI JAR file?

Thanks Shawn. I've managed to reduce the jar size from 784k to 340k. It's
usable now I think.

I ran my code using the -verbose flag and got a list of classes loaded. I
then just deleted all the classes not used from the jar file. Works great!

I might try an obfuscator as well. They often reduce the jar size.

"Shawn Laubach" <sh...@cox.net>
13/10/2005 00:01
Please respond to
"POI Users List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>

"'POI Users List'" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Smaller POI JAR file?

You could run a decent profiler and get a list of classes loaded during a
run.  Those would probably be the ones you need.

Shawn

RE: Smaller POI JAR file?

Posted by Shawn Laubach <sh...@cox.net>.