Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Bill <bh...@collaborativefusion.com> on 2003/06/23 18:06:32 UTC

TDK Replacement (was RE: Wanna help)

I just want to make sure I am on the same page...

Are we simply proposing to bundle a couple of samples with Tomcat, and
throwing up documentation?

I thought the initial discussion was leaning toward a plugin to Maven to
build the skeletal environment, and maybe a couple of extra goals to
help automate the process for newbies.

Re: TDK Replacement (was RE: Wanna help)

Posted by Rodrigo Reyes <ro...@instaservi.com>.
Bill
    I think we are talking about having a couple of examples that could be
used right out the box for truly beginners, but having a more advanced
version where you could use Maven to build your skeleton and even your
Torque specific classes would be a very nice thing to have for Torque
specific and more advanced users. There's no reason why we should have one
instead of the other. I think we could and should have both.

Rodrigo

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Bill <bh...@collaborativefusion.com> writes:

Hi,

no, surely not! :-) Just a little "toolbox" to get stuff running. I
still know how I fighted, cursed and hated the 2.1 TDK. I don't want
new users of the current code base to do the same thing.

	Regards
		Henning

>Henning

>I don't disagree with that.  However, I wasn't entirely sure that was
>your point from the previous message.  I wanted to make sure you weren't
>proposing that the replacement be suitable for a production environment
>out of the box.

>On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 04:48, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> Bill <bh...@collaborativefusion.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> >And I'm not sure what is gained by bundling pre-configured servers with
>> >everything else?  Can you maybe elaborate on this?  I was thinking
>> >minimalist on this.  If we provide good docs on how to go from the build
>> >environment to a deployable app, doesn't this give the community more
>> >flexibility?
>>
>> The TDK is for beginners. To me this is the equivalent of bundling the
>> first set of batteries with a new toy. It reduces the amount of
>> trouble getting _anything_ to work. Once you're seasoned, you won't
>> use the TDK most of the time.
>>
>> I'd say that it is frustrating to tell people: "Welcome to the Turbine
>> Development Kit. If you want to try it out, you must now go and get a
>> servlet container. After you did this (and made it run), you must now
>> go and fetch some sort of maven release, which is bugfree enough to
>> actually compile our source code examples. BTW, you can't download it,
>> but you must fetch it from CVS and compile it yourself. Have fun and
>> come back when you're ready."
>>
>> IMHO it's better to bundle versions known to work.
>>
>> 	Regards
>> 		Henning
>>

>> >I haven't done a clean, full install of turbine in a long while, so
>> >tonite I'm gonna get new copies of everything, and start building on a
>> >clean box, documenting the process I take all the while. I think this
>> >will help clean up the picture in my mind's eye.

--- Quote of the week: "It is pointless to tell people anything when
you know that they won't process the message." --- Jonathan Revusky

Re: TDK Replacement (was RE: Wanna help)

Posted by Bill <bh...@collaborativefusion.com>.
Henning

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Bill <bh...@collaborativefusion.com>.
Rodrigo:  Sorry, I didnt mean to make it sound mutually exclusive, I'm
totally on the same page as far as the final solution being a
combination of both.

Henning:  Ok, I think we are on the same page.  I didnt mean to make it
sound like the plugin would be too feature-rich, I was looking at the
plugin being the 'glue' as you referred to it.

As far as your pet peeve, doesn't maven already have a 'deploy' goal? (
I haven't used it yet, I basically spent my free time this weekend
reading through the Maven docs and tutorials and haven't gone hands-on
yet )  Would it make more sense to explain how to use this goal to
deploy the apps in the tutorial?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.