Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com> on 2007/10/01 09:34:16 UTC

Adding timestamp to apache releases?

Greetings,

To-do list item #1 for this week is "upgrade to 2.2.6". When I was
waiting for the tar-ball to download, it occurred to me that it isn't
blindingly obvious *when* the update was published. There's no date on
the homepage (http://httpd.apache.org/) or on the download page
(http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi) or on the announcement page
(http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/Announcement2.2.html) or even on the
changes log (http://apache.mirror.testserver.li/httpd/CHANGES_2.2)...
It's just that when I announce the upgrade internally, managers like to
see something like a date rather than just an arbitrary version number.

Is there a reason for the coyness or is it just an oversight, like
people who send out invites to parties with elaborate directions and
clip-art but forget to put the date?

Might it be an idea for 2.2.7?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.

Re: Adding timestamp to apache releases?

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:34 AM, Boyle Owen wrote:

> Is there a reason for the coyness or is it just an oversight, like
> people who send out invites to parties with elaborate directions and
> clip-art but forget to put the date?

PGP to the rescue!  Just downloaded the release, and Safari preserves
the modification time:

[sctemme@Graymalkin] downloads $ curl -I "http://mirrors.sirium.net/
pub/apache/httpd/httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz"
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:51:22 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:31:02 GMT
ETag: "547541-5bfe97-46e05576"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

[sctemme@Graymalkin] downloads $ ls -lt httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz*
-rw-r--r--   1 sctemme  admin       53 Sep  6 12:31
httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz.md5
-rw-r--r--   1 sctemme  admin  6028951 Sep  6 12:31 httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 sctemme  admin      186 Sep  6 12:31
httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz.asc

Now when I verify the PGP signature:

[sctemme@Graymalkin] downloads $ gpg --verify httpd-2.2.6.tar.gz.asc
gpg: Signature made Tue Sep  4 13:09:41 2007 PDT using DSA key ID
08C975E5
gpg: Good signature from "Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>"
gpg:                 aka "Jim Jagielski <ji...@zend.com>"
gpg:                 aka "Jim Jagielski <ji...@jimjag.com>"
gpg:                 aka "Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>"
gpg:                 aka "Jim Jagielski <ji...@covalent.net>"

Note the time stamp on the signature.  Of course this is the time of
the clock on Jim's computer: I don't think GPG can get a trusted
timestamp for signatures.  I looked through the options and saw none.

Perhaps that's something to look into, but for now there is a
timestamp on the signature.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: Adding timestamp to apache releases?

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 01.10.2007, at 12:22, Erik Abele wrote:

> On 01.10.2007, at 09:58, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>> I like the idea of adding a date to each news item, be it on
>> httpd.a.o,
>> or our www.apache.org.  +1.
>
> +1, see attached patch which adds dates to the index and download
> pages (see changes to site.vsl which add a 2nd column to the
> relevant section headers as soon as a new date="" attribute is
> present).
>
> Please test and give your opinion, works for me on Safari and
> Firefox...

Got a chance to test it on IE today, looks fine so I've added it at
the moment.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Adding timestamp to apache releases?

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 01.10.2007, at 09:58, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Boyle Owen wrote:
>>
>> Might it be an idea for 2.2.7?

You can also get it from here for now:
http://projects.apache.org/projects/http_server.html

or as a feed:
http://projects.apache.org/feeds/rss/http_server.xml

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/1/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Boyle Owen wrote:
> >
> > Might it be an idea for 2.2.7?
>
> I like the idea of adding a date to each news item, be it on httpd.a.o,
> or our www.apache.org.  +1.
>
> (Especially since the datestamps of our tarballs are several days prior
> to each release).

I like that idea too!
+1

--
~Jorge

Re: Adding timestamp to apache releases?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.