Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2001/06/11 11:36:21 UTC

Re: Hooks for management reporting

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 09:36:34PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> how about this prototype?
>
> it registers a 'test' hook which generates somes values,
> I envison that this would be similliar to how the this would work
> for the 'get/walk' type commands

Looks good to me. It's got the flexibility of typing info that allows us to
do structured data. The dotted naming is also a nice way to ask for specific
bits, groups, or everything.

+1 on concept.

I believe a patch would only define the hook (and corresponding header doc).
Note that I think the mgmt_line_t would be part of the system, so it would
be in the patch, too. The C code would probably go into server/core.c since
this is independent of MPMs (yes, they can use it, but all kinds of stuff in
the server can use it).

A second patch round can consider how this might be integrated into
mod_status, and a third round for switching the scoreboard <-> mod_status
communication channel.

Just had to respond to this one point...

The reporting *can* be done on an operational system. That isn't for us to
decide for users. This hook allows for the info to be offloaded from the
box, or to generate the info right within the server process.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/