Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org> on 2005/07/01 10:32:34 UTC

Questions about CORBA

Hi,

I wonder what options do we have to use as a CORBA implementation in
Geronimo (as a ASF project). I'm not familiar with the nuances of
miscellaneous licenses, but unless I'm mistaken we don't have too much
choices - Sun's ORB or OpenORB, right? Again, unless I'm mistaken if I
were to be asked I'd say we ain't too happy with both, but couldn't say
why :( Wiki is silent on this, too.

Do we have to build our own CORBA implementation...well, I remember Dain
  has been working on CORBA stuff in OpenEJB. Is it a complete rewrite
or a wrapper around OpenORB. Hmm, but I also remember we talked about
OpenORB troubles.

Yes, I'm lost and asking for a help - could anyone answer where we are
with the CORBA stuff?

Jacek

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 7/1/2005 10:37 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

>	To Rick and Alan, there's an option 4, Implement Our Own ORB.  I
>don't think we're super-excited to start a project of that magnitude from
>scratch (we do tend to favor the whole "incorporate best of breed project"
>approach!), but I imagine it would be at least be considered if nothing
>else worked out.

Option 5, a vendor donate their ORB to ASF.  Anyone?  Anyone?

Regards,
Alan

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Jul 3, 2005, at 11:31 PM, Viacheslav N tararin wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom пишет:
>

>> If it comes down to fixing OpenORB or writing our own ORB, I think
>> writing our own will be faster. OpenORB is quite difficult to
>> understand and was written before many modern concepts like IoC
>> were introduced. The biggest problem this the current OpenORB
>> codebase is that it doesn't properly implement IIOP so it cant
>> talk to any other ORBs (and it is difficult to find the code to fix).
>>

> Can you provide an example? We using OpenORB for our products about
> 5 years, it properly work with OmniORB at less.

We were using the head version and it could not pass an array of
primitive values to another orb.  IIRC, character types were not
being marshaled as a wchar marshaled, but it has been a while.

Also, the iiop operation name manger is broken.  If you have an
overloaded method with an array type it will generate the wrong
operation name.  For example:

     void blah();
     void blah(String[] foo);

-dain

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by Viacheslav N tararin <ta...@dekasoft.com.ua>.

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 7/1/2005 2:15 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> If it comes down to fixing OpenORB or writing our own ORB, I think
> writing our own will be faster.  OpenORB is quite difficult to
> understand and was written before many modern concepts like IoC were
> introduced.  The biggest problem this the current OpenORB codebase is
> that it doesn't properly implement IIOP so it cant talk to any other
> ORBs (and it is difficult to find the code to fix).  Anyway, I say we
> stick with the sun orb until something better comes along.

Could we not invite the OpenORB people to help?

I think that ultimately, it would be great to have a full ASF licensed
ORB server.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	To Rick and Alan, there's an option 4, Implement Our Own ORB.  I
> don't think we're super-excited to start a project of that magnitude from
> scratch (we do tend to favor the whole "incorporate best of breed project"
> approach!), but I imagine it would be at least be considered if nothing
> else worked out.

Hi Aaron,

I thought about it, but I like Alan's idea better to fix OpenORB issues
instead of reinventing the wheel. I'd believe it's the fine and straight
way to incorporate yet another open source project under Geronimo
umbrella or grasp the CORBA concepts patching OpenORB and forking it at
some time to create a new project. I'm leaning towards the former rather
than the latter.

BTW, is there a wiki page about CORBA stuff? When I asked the question I
first had looked at Wiki and couldn't find anything, so either it
doesn't exist yet or is not easy to find. All in all, I'm sure we could
add a bit more to Wiki now. The thread gives some alternatives to think
about.

> Aaron

Jacek

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
	I'm not sure there's a list of problems we had with OpenORB,
though you might poke around the dev list archives.  I haven't really been
involved in the CORBA work, but I've heard several people who were
involved say that OpenORB has issues, and other open source ORBs that
might be candidates don't have Apache-style licenses.  I don't think we're
thrilled with the prospect of coding directly to the JVM ORB, but it got
us over the TCK hump, so it was certainly expedient.

	As far as I know, we're certainly willing to look at alternatives
at this point.  But to go back to your question, someone else may need to
address the specific problems that were encountered in the past.

Re: Questions about CORBA

Posted by Viacheslav N tararin <ta...@dekasoft.com.ua>.
Hi.

Re: Questions about CORBA