Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Samuel Arnod-Prin <sa...@utopix.ch> on 2003/07/09 12:27:51 UTC

How to map user/password from the email address ???

Hello,

I am discovering James and I am wondering how to do this :

I would like to manager several domains :  first.com and second.com for
example
for pop3 and smtp, I would like to create an account user@first.com to
receive its emails
but while authentificating, I would like the client only to send "user"
as username... and its email (user@first.com)  and the server (james)
would make the correct analysis : user + @first.com = user@first.com ...

is there a way to do this ? Because the mail server I plan to replace as
this functionality and I would avoid users to change their configuration.
thank you

RE: How to map user/password from the email address ???

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I would like to create an account user@first.com to
> receive its emails

> while authentificating, I would like the client only to send "user"
> as username... and its email (user@first.com)

POP3 has two commands: USER and PASS.  What is passed to each in your plan?
Please be specific:

  $ telnet localhost pop3
  +OK mail.devtech.com POP3 server (JAMES POP3 Server 2.2.0a-dev) ready
  USER <what goes here>
  +OK
  PASS <what goes here>

> is there a way to do this ?

I haven't figured out what you want, but it is all 1's and 0's.  You can
always make changes.

	--- Noel