Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2009/02/19 06:05:02 UTC

New project name

We may as well start this thread.  I recall the name "Ki" being
proposed.  I like it a lot.  It's short and concise.  Are there any
other contenders?

Regards,
Alan

Re: New project name

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
If anyone else has any name suggestions, and you've done the due diligence
required to verify there is no name conflict, please speak now or forever
hold your peace!

:)

Re: New project name

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: New project name

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Les Hazlewood wrote:
> When you formulate the initial VOTE post, can you clarify that if anyone
> votes -1, that they should provide an alternate name that does NOT have a
> conflict in the USTO patent/trademark search?

I would do that in two steps :
- first, select a name which does not conflict with anything. We have a
few of them already proposed (ki being one of them). We will very
quickly find a small subset of acceptable names, whatever they are.
- then, launch a VOTE for those names, and do the math.

Those who are members of the IPMC, ie who have a binding vote, should
not be able to veto names in the second category. For instance, whatever
name you pick in the restricted list selected in step 1 fits me, so I
would consider my VOTE as a simple preference (or I can also not vote or
vote +0 or -0), just to let you guys pick the name you like, as I'm just
a mentor.

Does it sound good ?

PS : we are not in a hurry, but as soon as we start the process, it
should be closed in 72 hours, otherwise we can discuss forever :) So
here, in one week, we _must_ be done !

PS : I really appreciate the way the project has evolved those last
three months. Seems like it gains maturity.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: New project name

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
When you formulate the initial VOTE post, can you clarify that if anyone
votes -1, that they should provide an alternate name that does NOT have a
conflict in the USTO patent/trademark search?

I would like to avoid what happened before - where it turns into a
brainstorming thread.  If an alternate name is given as part of a -1 vote,
that person should do the proper due diligence to guarantee, in as much as
is possible, no conflict.  If they don't do that due diligence or want to
put the time in to doing it (it is time consuming, I found out), then they
shouldn't have the right to nominate it, given all the time that we've had
for the last few months...

Re: New project name

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: New project name

Posted by Peter Ledbrook <pe...@cacoethes.co.uk>.
> There's been ample time for people to chime in with their name proposals but
> none have been proposed other than Ki.

Did we consider just plain "jsec"? Anyway, I'm fine with Ki too.

Peter

Re: New project name

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, missed that. I do like Ki, so my non-binding +1 for it.

Kalle

Re: New project name

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: New project name