Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2012/06/24 05:31:54 UTC

Re: References to "Apache OpenOffice"

Hi Nick,

I'm top posting because it is clear to me what is happening here:

(1) The Title of the AOO blog is "Apache OpenOffice (Incubating)"

(2) The Title of various blog entries includes the phrase "Apache OpenOffice", but not the phrase "Apache OpenOffice (incubating)".

I have the karma and will fix these blog entry titles except for the Japanese one, but I'm going to wait 24 hours.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/26 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>:
>> Dave Fisher wrote:
>>>
>>> Wearing my IPMC and PPMC hats. I've changed blog entry titles. Sorry
>>> for our oversight (or lack). Thanks for yours.
>>

>> Was it really necessary? In the meantime, Rob had edited the blog entries to
>> insert:
>>
>> (Apache OpenOffice is currently undergoing Incubation at the Apache Software
>> Foundation.)
>>
>> and this seems a good trade-off to me, much more than adding "(incubating)"
>> to the title, which will confuse users, especially non-native speakers (but
>> also native speakers won't always be able to guess what "incubating" means
>> in this context).
>>
>> Honestly, I'd be for linking "undergoing Incubation" (in the clauses Rob
>> added) to Don's post https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/what_is_a_podling or
>> some more official explanation, and removing "(incubating)" from the titles.
>>
>> This would give all interested parties the opportunity to discover what
>> "incubating" means, which is probably the rationale behind the rule to use
>> "(incubating)" everywhere, and at the same time would keep titles easily
>> readable.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Andrea.
>
> Agree: a couple of days ago a new user on the Spanish forums said she
> was afraid to download 3.4 because she believed that "incubating" was
> a synonym of "beta software" or something like that... OK, that was an
> extreme reaction, but most people are confused by the "incubating"
> term.

So the nice thing about putting the reference in the body of the post
rather than the title is that you can link it to the Incubator
website, something you can't do in the title.  So you can give it some
context.

-Rob

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jo...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 6/26/12 4:07 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
> wrote:

> >> Was it really necessary? In the meantime, Rob had edited the blog
> entries to
> >> insert:
> >>
> >> (Apache OpenOffice is currently undergoing Incubation at the Apache
> Software
> >> Foundation.)
> >>
> >> and this seems a good trade-off to me, much more than adding
> "(incubating)"
> >> to the title, which will confuse users, especially non-native speakers
> (but
> >> also native speakers won't always be able to guess what "incubating"
> means
> >> in this context).
> >>

> > +1.
> >
> > In fact, if you look at the IPMC's requirements for this, they are
> > here:   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html
> >
> > "Naming
> >
> > After a podling has been approved, the lists are created, and the
> > initial code drop has commenced, the podling MUST be referred to as
> > Apache "Podling-Name" AND mention that the project is under
> > Incubation. Suitable mentions include:
> >
> > --     Inclusion of the http://incubator.apache.org/"podling-name" URL
> > ---    Apache "Podling-Name" is currently undergoing Incubation at the
> > Apache Software Foundation.
> >
> > Other references may only be used upon prior approval by the Incubator
> > PMC. These statements only need to be disclosed upon the first
> > reference in a document."
> >
> > Note that two incubation-disclaimers are given, and that neither one
> > of them are what Dave did.
>
> I am wondering as well and I agree that it was somewhat superfluous. But
> we shouldn't stress it any longer and should focus on the right actions
> forward to graduate.
>
> I think that is the best thing we can do... I personally don't have
> interest in any further teaching lesson.
>
> Juergen

OK, I think some of the confusion comes from a previous OK of referring to
the product as "Apache OpenOffice (TM)" vs the project -- Apache OpenOffice
(incubating).

see ref on the former at:

http://markmail.org/message/tnufz5cnoueh57ci

with a later follow-up that this "internal" TM would at some point become
"registered" when Apache OpenOffice (incubating) graduated -- normally  TM
registrations only occur on top level projects.

Oddly, despite the fact that we refer to the "product" as just Apache
OpenOffice, I remember some discussion and the final outcome that the
packages are named with "incubating" as part of the name.

Yeah, very confusing to say the least...

> >> Honestly, I'd be for linking "undergoing Incubation" (in the clauses Rob
> >> added) to Don's post
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/what_is_a_podling or
> >> some more official explanation, and removing "(incubating)" from the
> titles.
> >>
> >> This would give all interested parties the opportunity to discover what
> >> "incubating" means, which is probably the rationale behind the rule to
> use
> >> "(incubating)" everywhere, and at the same time would keep titles easily
> >> readable.
> >>

> > +1
> >
> > One issue, I think, is that users have no idea what "(incubating)"
> > means.  I had one user write me and joke about aliens in pods.   We
> > shouldn't be leading with out-of-context internal Apache process
> > jargon.  Perhaps that is why the Podling Branding Guide makes the
> > suggestions it does, and which I had already made to the post.
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> >> Regards,
> >>  Andrea.

MzK

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb

Re: References to "Apache OpenOffice"

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.