Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anishek Agarwal <an...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/10 14:47:12 UTC

PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Hello,

As part of using this for our project one of our teams need PHP driver for
cassandra. the datastax page says its in ALPHA, is there some release
candidate that people have used or any way to get this working with PHP ?

Thanks
Anishek

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> You should use the Datastax one. It is the only maintained* PHP driver and
> will shortly be the defacto standard.

* CQL client maintained by an organization, not by a single individual.

=Rob

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by Anishek Agarwal <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Alex,

We are planning on using Cassandra 2.0.13 and looks like it will take us a
month to go production. Since the team that needs PHP is only going to
read, if we dont think there is to much integration testing or otherwise we
need to do with PHP driver so if we get a PHP production driver in 3 weeks,
i think we should be fine, though i still have to discuss this with the
other team, they might not be willing to wait so long.

thanks

Posted by Alex Popescu <al...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Tim Dunphy <bl...@gmail.com>.
We've used the McFrazier PHP client in our project. Works well!

http://blog.robert.mcfrazier.com/getting-started-php-binary-cql-client/

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Anishek Agarwal <an...@gmail.com>.
the php team is very stringent about response times, i will see if we can
do a node js web service or some form of inter process communication setup
between php <==> python to achieve this, thanks for the idea.

Posted by List <li...@airstreamcomm.net>.
On 4/10/15 8:43 AM, Michael Dykman wrote:
> Somewhat over a year ago, I set out to address the exact same issue
> for our high-traffic PHP site.  After several failed attempts, I tried
> to wrap the C++ driver (as it was then) in extern "C" wrappers before
> I gave up when I realized the driver was pre-alpha.  The current
> implementation provides C bindings out of the box but it relative
> immaturity still makes it look like too much of a risk.
>
> Ultimately, we set up a web service (json in/json out) written in Java
> which uses the datastax Java driver to accommodate our PHP's cassandra
> needs.  An arbitrary number of parameterized queries can be passed to
> the service which runs those queries in parallel and the result is
> both reliable and very fast.  I don't think it would be easy (or even
> possible) for a PHP implementation to take advantage of the async
> interface which is where most of the performance gain is to be had.
>

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Anishek Agarwal <anishek@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     As part of using this for our project one of our teams need PHP
>     driver for cassandra. the datastax page says its in ALPHA, is
>     there some release candidate that people have used or any way to
>     get this working with PHP ?
>
>     Thanks
>     Anishek
>

> --
>  - michael dykman
>  - mdykman@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>
>
>  May the Source be with you.

We did exactly the same thing using Node.js.  Built a simple Express app
with the Datastax Node.js driver that allows us to send a CQL query (or
batch) with JSON and return the results.  Being that it's a
small/efficient app we can load it on the same machine that PHP is
running on and get the benefits of the cluster aware topology that the
driver implements (aka free load balancing to the db).

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Posted by Michael Dykman <md...@gmail.com>.

--
 - michael dykman