Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/19 02:51:22 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
2.4.2.

The vote is open until April 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes
are cast, with
a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.2-rc1 (commit
a44880ba74caab7a987128cb09c4bee41617770a):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.2-rc1

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1322/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344996

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.2?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.2 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target
Version/s" = 2.4.2

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Re: .NET, what's the particular issue in there that it's causing?
2.4.2 still builds for 2.11. I'd imagine you'd be pulling dependencies
from Maven central (?) or if needed can build for 2.11 from source.
I'm more concerned about pyspark because it builds in 2.12 jars.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
Just my 2c

If there is a known security issue, we should fix it rather waiting for if it actually could be might be affecting Spark to be found by a black hat, or worse.

I don’t think any of us want to see Spark in the news for this reason.
________________________________
Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiao Li <li...@databricks.com>.
Jungtaek,

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiao Li <li...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiao Li <li...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Michael Heuer <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Heuer <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Heuer <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com>.
ah I didn't know that branch 2.4 still use Scala 2.11 as default. I thought
we've switched to Scala 2.12 when we deprecate Scala 2.11 in 2.4.1.

If people complain we can do 2.4.3 quickly.

Thanks,
Wenchen

Posted by "Shixiong(Ryan) Zhu" <sh...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
We can always rush out 2.4.3 if people agree this is a big problem...

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Daniel Darabos <da...@lynxanalytics.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.