Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2016/12/01 08:37:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Hi guys,

Apache is changing the mode in which ApacheCons are being held starting with the next ApacheCon NA in Miami.
Instead of having a separate ApacheCon and Apache Big Data, this time they will be held in parallel and will be starting on Tuesday going till Thursday.
This is done to create some space for Projects to do project summits on Monday. Projects that are interested will be able to get a half-day or full-day slot to do this.

I think we should sign up for such a summit and finally get the community to come together.

We have a lot of stuff to discuss and share and this would be a good opportunitiy for us to distribute knowledge (and herby reduce the bus-factor), get interested people up to speed and also spend a little time talking about weather, beaches, beer and non flex related stufff. I guess this would deffinitely help us grow together as a community even more.

What do you think? I would be happy to coordinate this.

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Will look into that. Thanks.

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Yishay,

Well in that case I would strongly suggest that you apply for TAC (Travel Assistance) ... that’s what it’s made for :-)

I did my first ApacheCon NA with TAC and so did several others.

Chris

    It sounds like a good idea, but I’m not sure I’d have the resources to fly across the Atlantic for that. I’m hoping for a European (or Middle Eastern)  event.

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Piotr, Chris,

reason is multiple, I'm somewhat crucified by multiple things going on my
life that make me very difficult to plan travels.
(Although is complicated I'll be spending some cycles investigating some
way, but taking into account that all bets are against me ;))

Thanks guys! :)

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Karl,

I've quotted what was in the email from Rich. The rest is mine words.

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Piotr,

Well that was a misunderstanding of my question of anyone would be interested in such a summit.
The ASF and the LF would like us to have it. Now we have to decide if we’ll actually do it. There’s no use in having a summit no one wants to come to or speak at.

I doubt they will be giving out numbers as you don’t really sign up for the summit but for the conference and then you simply go to the summit you want to go to.

Chris

Am 27.01.17, 19:50 schrieb "piotrz" <pi...@gmail.com>:

    Now it have for me greater sence cause I was thinking that we are debating
    still whether Flex Summit should be available for sighn up, but it is
    already available.

    I just got email from Rich Bowen with list of available meetings:

    "ApacheCon is a convention of Apache conferences. This year, we feature:

    * Apache: Big Data
    * CloudStack Colaboration Conference
    * TomcatCon
    * Flex Project Summit
    * Apache IoT"

    Is there will be any possibility to have after sometime how many people has
    been sighn up?

    Piotr

    -----
    Apache Flex PMC
    piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Karl KTA <ka...@kingtideapps.com>.
> On 28 Jan 2017, at 05:20, piotrz [via Apache Flex Development] <ml...@n4.nabble.com> wrote:
>
> Now it have for me greater sence cause I was thinking that we are debating still whether Flex Summit should be available for sighn up, but it is already available.
>
> I just got email from Rich Bowen with list of available meetings:
>
> "ApacheCon is a convention of Apache conferences. This year, we feature:
>
> * Apache: Big Data
> * CloudStack Colaboration Conference
> * TomcatCon
> * Flex Project Summit
> * Apache IoT"
>
> Is there will be any possibility to have after sometime how many people has been sighn up?

Sorry Piotr, is this line for me or from Rich to you?  I am not part of collecting sign ups. Clearly they are very excited to have the Flex Project Summit on the list.

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
It look like it went even farther. Now I have to come no matter what :)

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
I could give talk about using FlexJS with Visual Studio Code. Setting up
the VSCode extension, creating and compiling a project, language
intelligence features, and debugging ActionScript in a browser with source
maps.

- Josh

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

just came to this thread a bit late.

Want to say you that I think this is a great idea and as Chris I think some
time to meet you in person would be awesome. It's not all about the code
but the community.

Unfortunately, my options to move are very few since there's not only one
problem (but many) to handle in my case.

My only option could be to make a remote talk (maybe one about MDL in
FlexJS) to help pushing the effort

Thanks to move this! :)

Carlos

> Alex,
>
> If my TAC will be accepted and bosses give me days Off I will be also
> present. :)
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC
> piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Justin. It would be great. :)

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 2) I see among the sponsors Pivotal - Justin do you think that they will have some talk on conference.

They have a number of TLP and incubating projects they are involved in so it’s very likely.  But it will be more as an individual speaking about an Apache project they use / contribute to rather than a Pivotal representative. They may also have  a vendor stand in the vendor area.

I also know that Roman (who works at Pivotal part time) is going to attend. I’ll introduce you, he’s likely to know other people from the company.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Justin I'm going to apply this week. :)

1) Two things - I think we could try to prepare such stack using FlexJS MDL
:) It can take a bit longer time so maybe someone could have other idea. But
in general we should have everything what we need to prepare such small
stack.

2) I see among the sponsors Pivotal - Justin do you think that they will
have some talk on conference. My company is close partnership with Pivotal.
I'm going to usk my bosses for some favor and such information would be a
plus. :)

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
I agree that if it will be some separate event proposed by Alex it probably
won't be refunded in any way by Adobe, so for me it could not be possible
attend.

Chris,

I'm going to give a shot and try to apply to TAC  I hope next week. If they
accept me I will definatly try to get visa and hope to see you guys in
Miami! :)

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I will definitely be coming.

I’ll discuss things with the LF and try to make it happen later. Right now I think it would be Monday, but I don’t know if it could be Friday too

Chris

Am 29.01.17, 08:44 schrieb "Harbs" <ha...@gmail.com>:

    I’d love to come.

    I have another conference in Atlanta, Georgia the following week.

    I’m not sure if that’s a plus or a minus in terms of my attendance.

    I’ve been quiet so far because I don’t yet know whether I can make it or not.

    FWIW, I would make an effort to come to something in Europe if possible.

    What exact date are we talking about? FWIW, my chances of attending are probably probably better if it’s later in the week.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I’d love to come.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> We definitely should have such a landing page to advertise … especially we could lay emphasis on the FlexJS to make people more curious

The source for the cloud stack site can be found here [1]. We have permission to repurpose it if we want.

Justin

1. https://github.com/cloudops/ca.cloudstackcollab.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I specially appreciate it, Miami sort of being the furthest away from Sydney :)

It’s only 24 hours + travel time.

Re talks I see what other people submit but perhaps I could submit one on code quality and testing???

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Justin,

Great to hear from you and great to hear that you are coming. I specially appreciate it, Miami sort of being the furthest away from Sydney :)

We definitely should have such a landing page to advertise … especially we could lay emphasis on the FlexJS to make people more curious
Regarding talks. I would prepare something on:
- Maven and FlexJS (What’s the current state, what are we working on, what’s up the pipeline)

I also think we should have a discussion session sort of down the line of:
- What do we want/need in order to call it a 1.0?

Chris

Am 27.01.17, 23:42 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    Been a busy week and I’m just catching up with emails.

    I’m planning on attending ApacheCon Miami and would attend a Flex / FlexJS summit.

    I prefer face to face conferences over online ones (having attended many of them over the years). Technology issues and time zones can make online conferences a poor experience for attendees. A better online experience is pre recorded and edited videos which is more work for the speakers and organisers but works far better for attendees. But online conferences generally less costly to attend and don't involve travel which can be an advantage.

    That being said (and I assume there others in the same boat) it's would be unlikely for me to travel to the US or Europe for a one day event - unless (like ApacheCon) it dove tailed into another event I also wanted to attend.

    Alex even if you don’t attend ApacheCon this time would it be possible to get Adobe on as a sponsor?

    Piotrz I recommend to apply to TAC, both Chis and I attended an ApacheCon via TAC and it was a great experience. You get to meet lots of great people and ApacheCon is a great introduction to the wider Apache community.

    One of the summits has set up this site [1]. Should we do something similar?

    Thanks,
    Justin

    1. http://us.cloudstackcollab.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/27/17, 2:42 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Alex even if you don’t attend ApacheCon this time would it be possible to
>get Adobe on as a sponsor?

My budget has no room for sponsorship.  If we do get enough folks for the
summit, I'll be blowing the budget getting Peter and me to Miami.  Apache
has way more senior folks with much bigger budgets who should be getting
Adobe to sponsor.

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Well, if you are open to alternative proposals, one is to have two
"summits", one in EU, one in Seattle.  And they would be oriented towards
online attendees, and would be free to attend.

Here are some observations:
-One or more of us have attended every ApacheCon for about 5 years and not
netted a single new committer.
-More folks attended the FlexJS World Tour in the Bay Area online than in
person.
-We have been talking about a Summit at ApacheCon for several days now.
About 700 folks got the email and only one new person (Karl) raised his
hand to attend.
-It may be more difficult for some folks in the EU to get to Miami.
-Many key contributors to FlexJS are not in the US (Harbs, Yishay, Piotr,
Carlos, Chris).

So yeah, it is a bummer that you will be in the US for ApacheCon and I
might not meet up with you this time.  But I was looking at travel
yesterday and the web says it is 10 hours for me to get to Miami.  And 15
hours to get to Frankfurt.  And ApacheCon is happening near the end of the
school year for my kids.

If you can still offer your company's conference room for a face-to-face
for free, and it turns out that more of Piotr, Carlos, Harbs, Yishay, and
Olaf can agree on a date between around June 21 and Aug 21 to attend in
person, I will much prefer to spend my time and money going to Frankfurt
in the summer, and if I can't make it, I will get up early or stay up late
and attend online.

I can almost certainly offer Seattle as the US meet up location, and it
makes it easy for Josh, who is another key contributor, to attend.  I can
offer the Bay Area and maybe Boston or New York if there are collections
of folks who would want to meet up in that region.

My sense is that there just isn't enough money in Flex/FlexJS to make the
value proposition of attending face-to-face worth it to enough people to
gather even 20 of us in one place right now.  The world is too big, travel
is too expensive, on-line meetings work pretty well, Flex doesn't have
enough new things, and FlexJS doesn't have enough traction.  IOW, what
will potential customers get out of paying for attending in Miami that
they wouldn't get online for free?  You have a different value proposition
to your company because you have taken on ASF-wide duties and there is
value to being a speaker.  But all 30 folks that we want to draw in can't
be speakers, so there has to be some other value they get for attending.
I would need to know that we are at 10 attendees before the
committer-price deadline expires otherwise I will have difficulties
convincing my management that Miami is the right place to go.

If Piotr or anyone else does get to Miami via TAC, they will have TAC
duties to perform.  Will there be a guarantee that those duties will not
conflict with attendance at our summit?

Thoughts?
-Alex

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
The thing is:

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

    On 2017-01-24 12:23 (-0500), Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

    > Even if we don't get numbers this year, it is nice to know that LF is a
    > possibility for the future, so thanks for at least establishing that.

    Yes. Note that not only is it a possibility, but this is specifically the direction that we want to take with ApacheCon - a convention of Apache project/community conferences. Apache: Big Data was the test balloon, so to speak. This time we'll have Apache: IoT, and TomcatCon, and CloudStack Collaboration Conference. It would be great to have Flex in the list as well.

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1 Chris!

Great idea and thanks for figuring all this out.

Personally, I want to attend the event.  So I will try to figure things out
at work.

Nice work!

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Dammit … I forgot to mention something else I managed to arrange ☺

Applications to TAC are opening in the next days. If your TAC application gets accepted the Apache Fondation will cover all the travel costs for staying the entire week including the Summit (Actually being able to stay the whole working-week is a requirement for getting your application accepted).

Now you may think that others might be more worthy of applying but I would like to convince you to apply if money is what’s keeping you from going. In the past few times I have been acting as a Judge and part of the organization of TAC we have had several TACers that turned out being happy to attend a free holiday, so if we get people really wanting to get involved in Apache and Apache Projects, this is what TAC is really made for.

@Piotr you have been really active in the past and it would be a shame to not have you there. So please reconsider.

I would love to meet all of you guys I only know email addresses of.

Chris

Am 24.01.17, 09:59 schrieb "Maxim Solodovnik" <so...@gmail.com>:

    Hello Chris,

    I have no budget to visit US :(
    Will try to attend ApacheCon EU :)

    --
    WBR
    Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
I really scared of the fact there will be no ApacheCon EU this year :(
I have my wedding on May 25 this year, and already have scheduled trip
to Prague on May 26 ....

I'm afraid bachelor's party on May 16-20 in Miami will be too much :)))))
Maybe I can see you in Prague? Unofficial Flex Meetup :)))

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

    --
    WBR
    Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Chris,

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Thank you for this one!

Unfortunately I won't come this time cause don't have visa and costs are out
of range for me, but I'm looking forward next event in Europe.

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Am 01.12.16, 17:43 schrieb "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com>:

    On 12/1/16, 12:37 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >Apache is changing the mode in which ApacheCons are being held starting
    >with the next ApacheCon NA in Miami.
    >Instead of having a separate ApacheCon and Apache Big Data, this time
    >they will be held in parallel and will be starting on Tuesday going till
    >Thursday.
    >This is done to create some space for Projects to do project summits on
    >Monday. Projects that are interested will be able to get a half-day or
    >full-day slot to do this.
    >
    >I think we should sign up for such a summit and finally get the community
    >to come together.
    >
    >We have a lot of stuff to discuss and share and this would be a good
    >opportunitiy for us to distribute knowledge (and herby reduce the
    >bus-factor), get interested people up to speed and also spend a little
    >time talking about weather, beaches, beer and non flex related stufff. I
    >guess this would deffinitely help us grow together as a community even
    >more.
    >
    >What do you think? I would be happy to coordinate this.

    Having another FlexJS World Tour event would probably be a good thing.
    Not sure if ApacheCon is the place to do it.  Did you do some FlexJS talks
    at ApacheCon EU?  How was attendance?  You had good attendance at
    ApacheCon NA, but I'm not sure we hooked any new committers from it.
    That's why I wonder if there is some other place and time we should have
    an event.

    When are other folks available to travel to the US and/or Europe in 2017?
    Miami is so far away from Seattle, it might as well be in another
    continent.  US West Coast is always easier for me.

    Thoughts?
    -Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Karl,

that sounds really good. It's great to see people joining the effort. So
much appreciated! :)

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/26/17, 10:27 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

>Hmmm … so it seems someone on the Board must have misunderstood my
>question.
>The officially announced the Flex Summit, so I guess I will start working
>on the details.

IMO, you should caution the ApacheCon folks that we don't currently have
the numbers to make this worthwhile.  Who has committed so far?  Should we
discuss alternatives or wait a bit longer for reponses?

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de
> wrote:

> Hmmm … so it seems someone on the Board must have misunderstood my
> question.
> The officially announced the Flex Summit, so I guess I will start working
> on the details.

Lol.  I guess we have a Flex Summit in Miami now :-)

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karl,

WOW from Poland!

Thank you,
Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Have a Flex project summit at ApacheCon NA 2017?