Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM> on 2008/07/31 08:18:57 UTC

When is the next release of Felix scheduled to come out?

Hi,

We are currently using Felix version #1.0.4. When is the next release
scheduled to come out? We are interested in using the partial support
for fragment bundles that has been added in the trunk.

Thanks,
Sahoo

Re: When is the next release of Felix scheduled to come out?

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Perhaps the better question is, what level of fragment support do you
> need? After my next commit, it should be fairly stable to use
> fragments to extend the bundle class path of a host bundle and work
> properly with update/refresh. It will not, however, work with native
> libraries yet, nor the entry-related methods, nor be able to
> import/export. If you read the related bug, you can see my proposed
> plan of attach, which is pretty much implementing things in this order.
>
> So, if you have a specific need, now is the time to speak up.

We need the fragment support for localization(l10n) purpose. From your
description it appears to me that your plan should meet our requirement.
I am yet to test it out though.
I will wait till end of August for the official release to come out. If
it does not happen by then, I shall think of following Niclas' advice.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 31 July 2008 18:20, Sahoo wrote:
>

>> Thanks for getting back quickly. Can it please happen by end of August?
>>

> AFAICT, Felix is most of the time in a stable state, and you can cut your own
> intermediate release pretty easily.

Niclas is correct. I never try to commit anything to the framework
unless it is stable. However, the current level of fragment support is
stable, but not complete enough to be reasonably useful (in particular,
it does not handle update/refresh correctly). I have a commit in my
workspace that hooks the current level of fragment support into the
update/refresh process, but I am waiting to clean up a few things before
I commit it. Hopefully, it will land in the trunk this week.

At that point, then you could follow Niclas' advice and roll your own if
we are not ready. But, I expect that we should be pretty close to that
timeframe (i.e., end of Aug/beginning of Sept) on our release. I was
debating how much we should put in before doing a release, but we can
just freeze the features sooner so we can try to get the release out sooner.

Perhaps the better question is, what level of fragment support do you
need? After my next commit, it should be fairly stable to use fragments
to extend the bundle class path of a host bundle and work properly with
update/refresh. It will not, however, work with native libraries yet,
nor the entry-related methods, nor be able to import/export. If you read
the related bug, you can see my proposed plan of attach, which is pretty
much implementing things in this order.

So, if you have a specific need, now is the time to speak up.

-> richard

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 31 July 2008 18:20, Sahoo wrote:
>
>> Thanks for getting back quickly. Can it please happen by end of August?
>
> AFAICT, Felix is most of the time in a stable state, and you can cut your own
> intermediate release pretty easily.

True. Furthermore, richard and I did plan to make a new release
including partial fragment support soon anyways -- hence, we can try
to speed things up. However, I can't promise that we'll make it until
the end of August. It will largely depend on how much time richard can
find until then. I'll keep you posted.

regards,

Karl

> Cheers
> --
> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: When is the next release of Felix scheduled to come out?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: When is the next release of Felix scheduled to come out?

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Karl,

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

--